Abdominal Pain and Missed Periods

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi.

The past week I've had pain on my lower right side. On Tuesday I was admitted to the hospital as it was suspected Appendicitis. I had blood tests and an ultrasound and everything came back clear.

I spoke with my doctor about my periods and how they have changed in the past few months. I seem to be skipping periods every few months and then when I do get it, it is heavy and the blood is a very dark and thick? I do take the pill Microlite, would that be causing it? My doctor doesn't seem to be to concerned to run any further tests! Am I over thinking it or am I right to be concerned?

Every month I get the regular symptoms like cramps, headaches and everything else associated with the menstrual cycle, but then end up getting nothing or a period for 8-10 days? The pain on my right side isn't there every month but I would get it maybe every 3-4 months and it's worse after I urinate in the morning? It may not even be related to my periods.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you been tested for polcystic ovarian syndrome? Or you could possibly have endometriosis. When you ovulate one month you use one ovary and the next, the opposite so the pain alternates each month. Have you had your hormones tested off the pill? How long have you been on the pill? 
    • Posted

I currently haven't been tested for anything! I had an ultrasound while in the hospital and that was completely clear, all my bloods came back clear! I am waiting on my results from my smear.

I've been on the pill over four years and haven't had my hormones tested off it!

Can my GP carry out some of these tests or would I need to be referred to a consultant?

• Posted

I always think it is a good idea to have a break from being on the pill, taking hormones isn’t without risk just look at the side effects page in the pack. If you are having problems with your cycle, you need to see how your body deals with them off the pill. I was advised to have 6 month rests from the pill every now and then when I took it. There are plenty of other forms of contraceptive in the mean time which don’t involve hormones. I was diagnosed with pcos only when I was off the pill because the pill alters your hormone levels. But you need to be off the pill for a few months before getting an accurate reading. Also no cysts will form when you are on the pill so the ultrasound wouldn’t show anything up. Your GP can do the blood tests but they might not know too much about pcos, some are better than others. 

It may be something other than that, but it is good to rule things out, it is also good to take little breaks from the pill, it could be that a different pill is what you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.