Abdominal pain, diagnosed with depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all just looking for some advice.

I went to emerge 2 nights ago because of severe abdominal pain that wouldn't go away. I felt very bloated but could not release gas (did have a small bowel movement that didn't seem to relieve anything).

They did an x-ray and blood work and told me that my colon is full and I have air trapped. He also told me that it is dialated? (Can't remember the exact word he used, or what exactly he was talking about) but he said it's probably because of how bloated I am.

He gave me an emergency constipation kit that had 4 5mg ducolax tablets and a packet of off brand restoralax to mix in 1L of water, drinking 1 cup every 10 minutes. He also told me to buy restoralax and take it every day for a month to let me colon go back to a "normal" size.

I am making this post because I am still in severe pain. My bowel movements are all water and I get horrible cramps when I try to eat, or any time really. It hurts to move, hurts to walk. The doctor told me my white blood cell count was slightly elevated so I might have a viral infection as well causing this, and that I'm too young to have diverticulitis or anything like that. He referred me to a general surgeon to get a colonoscopy because I told him my stools have been very irregular and thin/narrow which I always thought was caused by a large cyst on my ovary. My appointment with the surgeon isn't for a month and colonoscopy will probably be months after that.

He prescribed buscopan but apparently no pharmacy has it around where I live. The pain is horrible and nothing even touches it, I've tried Tylenol, Naproxen.

Could constipation actually cause this much pain even after taking that many laxatives? And is there any recommendations on what I could take for pain? Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be as specific as possible.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Lol sorry all I just realized I put depression in the title instead of constipation. Not sure how to edit it.
    • Posted

You can’t edit it in the normal fashion,  You will have to do a new post with the correction in it as you have done.
  • Posted

Explain the nature of pain you feel with movements or walking. And also where is the pain location (upper/lower abdomen)?
    • Posted

The pain is mostly in my upper abdomen, about an inch below my bra line (worst pain is in the center, but it hurts on both sides). It is very very tender to push on. When getting up and walking around the pain is almost like pulling and burning. When sitting and laying it's very crampy and feels like squeezing. I'm currently taking the restoralax (17g) once a day. Took the Polyethylene Glycol 3350 with electrolyes yesterday which got things moving but the restoralax today didn't seem to do much except make me feel bloated.

• Posted

If your doctor prescribed Buscopan, he must know that it is available somewhere.   Ask your doctor if he knows where you can get it.  Where do you live?  I am in the UK and can get it for my IBS over the counter in pharmacies and ordinary shops.  It works for me along with conventional painkillers. This is the only thing I take for IBS. Maybe your doctor thinks you have IBS. 

Constipation can cause lots of pain, nausea, bloating , fatigue, dizxiness and lack of appetite.

• Posted

I'm in Ontario Canada. My pharmacy sent a fax asking them where else to get it or an alternative and the doctor told them to give me anything OTC. I'm about to pick something up that they say is an antispasmodic but no prescription needed. Can't remember the name right now. Guess I won't know about the IBS until I see a general surgeon for a colonoscopy. Does it come on so suddenly and random like that? I mean I've always had an issue with being gassy and stuff but this abdomen pain is very new.

• Posted

Hi make sure to try and get an endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy, you could have gastritis as well as something going on in your colon area. I was just diagnosed with gastritis and I get horrible pains all along my upper stomach, most times I can’t even wear a bra because it hurts so bad. 
    • Posted

Thanks I just googled gastritis and it seems like I have all the symptoms. It just came on so suddenly I was worried it was something more serious

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.