Abdominal Pain every morning for 2-3 minutes post gallbladder removal !

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I had my gallbladder surgery 12 weeks back. Since then, i experience upper abdominal pain (centre) which is extreme every morning upon waking up which lasts for not more than 2-3 mins. After that everything is fine throughout the day. I eat almost everything avoiding fatty foods and sugar. I have done all of those blood tests, ultrasound which were normal. The only concern is the morning pain for a very short time which is driving me bonkers. Docs dont have any answer for this. I was given PPI, anti-spasmodics, smooth muscle relaxant, antacids,etc but nothing seems to work. Can anyone please help me with this?  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Gosh I read what you wrote and I have to say, I would hope you're not taking the PPI's on a regular basis.  Given the studies that have recently come to light, I've just gone off Nexium and believe me it has been absolute hell.  So go easy on the PPI's.  I think you're one of the lucky ones if you're only have 2 or 3 minutes of pain.  Hopefully it will get better.
    • Posted

I am on nexium also. Read the reports. How are you weaning off them? Are you having reflux?
    • Posted

It has now been over 3 weeks and it has been extremely bad.  When i asked my dr. if I could quit, he said, "don't see any problem with that".  so I quit.  And the acid reflux has been to the point where I have to go to bed.  But that's only half of it.  Headaches, itching, twitching and sometimes hard to breathe.  Not kidding here.  The compounding thing is I quit caffeine at the same time, and chocolate, of course and a whole host of other things.  At present eating like a baby.  And at this point I'm just wondering how much longer and will I get better. 
  • Posted

Have you been tested to rule out a hiatal hernia? - as this condition can be found with bad gall bladder for some reason - I've got both and H hernia can hurt when you get up from lying down as the hernia slides in and out of the diaphragm. Mine was seen on a CT with contrast but not on endoscopy or other tests, it also causes reflux.
    • Posted

Hi, Cynthia,  I had a small hiatal hernia diagnosed because of a CT with contrast last year.  GI MD said nothing about it causing reflux, so I appreciate knowing that for sure.  I'm shaking my head after reading your post.  Something else not mentioned to me by the doctor.  Thanks for the information!  I've got reflux and now I know why I can't seem to get off the ppi's.  Thanks, Cynthia.    
    • Posted

That's interesting Lynda. I'm on list for GB out end of April and I'm having doubts as to whether it will be the answer or not, since speaking to others on the HH topic, seems it can mimic the same symptoms, yet drs are not really concerned. Wondering whether I should look for a second opinion in fact. All very confusing for sure!
  • Posted

Same problem as you first thing in the morning but this lasts longer for me and I had it before I had my gallbladder removed.

Try Omeprazole which you can get on prescription.

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi, Murliasnani, when my acid reflux first started, I had an attack early one morning after a meal at a restaurant.  It felt as though there was an elephant on my chest.  I was afraid that I was having a heart attack.  I had to sit up, but couldn't lie down because of the pain.  However, I could still breathe.  My GI doctor told me (later) that it was a classic acid reflux attack.  He told me to keep a bottle of Mylanta at home, and if I started feeling those syptoms again to drink all the bottle, if necessary and head to the ER, just in case it was a heart attack.  He also suggested that I elevate my head when I slept.  I hope these hints help!
    • Posted

Hey, glad to know that there is someone who has similar problem like me. I thought I was only alone as my GI doc couldn't understand this problem and couldn't advice. However, may I know how are you feeling now and  do you get those agony pain anytime? did you had you GB out? 
    • Posted

Hi, Murliasnani, I'm feeling okay, but I still have acid reflux.  To keep it under control, I take Omeprazole (which in the states is known as Prilosec)  I can buy it without a prescription here.  I also have to avoid acidic foods, so, if I want orange juice I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water.  I avoid spicy foods, etc.  I also have pretty much given up on soft drinks.  I can have 1/2 of a coke over lots of ice with no ill effects.  I had my gallbladder out in 2009.  I also have problems with too much bile acid in my system, but it's better than having a bad gallbladder!  Good luck to you
  • Posted

I had that for a good while after my removal.  It sounds like you are maybe sleeping too flat.  Sleep with your head a bit elevated as someone else has suggested and see how you get on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.