Abdominal pain from injury never checked

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, so about 3 months ago I got hit harder than i have ever been hit in my life. It was a little 5 lb mini sledge hammer that had a 200 ton press pushing on it when it shot out with a lot of force and hit me just underneath my floating ribs on my left side. it clipped my rib a bruised it. I did get an X-ray when it happened. but i don't have health insurance, and its a small business where i work that is family owned so i didn't want to cost my family a ton of money by getting a bunch of scans done that i cant afford,. but now that I'm still having abdominal pains. i maybe should have done something like a CT scan. I'm trying to figure out if i could have caused serious damage from a physical injury,. like an abdominal aerobic aneurysm. As i said i had never been hit so hard, ever. the pains i feel now tend to be like a sharp feeling in by abdomen area tucked behind my floating ribs on my left side. and i also get a lot of back pain.  so mainly my question is, what kind of damage can be caused from an experience like that? i mean the hammer hit so hard i didn't even see it happen, i just heard the pop from the press releasing pressure, as that happened i dropped to my knees, looked up saw the hammer was gone and on the floor. And the only thing i had done to check for damage was an x-ray. suggestions? thanks guys, sorry if my post is worded badly this is my first time starting a post on something like this I've always just found post similar to mine. but i couldn't find one this time. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did the X Ray show any damage? I would get more scans done to see what is going on inside.
  • Posted

it only showed the damage on my ribs, didn't show any tissue damage, thank you for your reply

• Posted

It is possible to bruise, crack or break ribs and it is also possible to do this with bones,  Maybe a CT or abdominal ultrasound would show more.
  • Posted

Hi peacemode

It must have hit you with great force! You stomach and kidneys are in the left side rib area the force could have affected them in some way and cause the pain you are experiencing. You really do need to have an abdominal ultrasound scan to see what is going on..also are you sure you did not have a greenstick fracture of your rib which is sometimes hard to see on an x-ray....i've never heard of a 'bruised' rib or bone..how would you see a bruise on an x-ray? ..was your skin bruised where the hammer hit near your rib?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.