Abdominal Pain from Low Carb Diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I went on a low carb diet about 2.5 months ago because of high triglycerides. I lost 17 pounds since. However, almost every day in the mornings, I wake up with pretty severe lower stomach pain which sometimes moves to the pelvic and genital area also. The only thing that seems to calm it down is meals. After breakfast, the pain usually goes away.

I am wondering if I am deficient in nutrients because of the low carb diet. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I have tried pepsid complete and gas-x, both of which don't work.

Also, the pain only happens when walking. When I stand in one place or sit or lie down, there is no pain.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried giving up the low carb diet and going back to a simple balanced diet that cuts nothing out? Sometimes diet change can upset the gut. If this doesn't help, see your doctor. I went to my doctor after two weeks of abdominal pain.

• Posted

Thanks. On some days, I have increased the carbs, and then the following day, I would not experience pain. Like today, for example: last night I had a high carb meal, and then today more carbs, and no pain.

What did your doctor say when you went to get checked out for the abdominal pain?

• Posted

Most of my doctors were clueless for three and a half months and no one could work out what was wrong because of so many negative tests. Eventually, one doctor diagnosed IBS based on the non stop stress I had undergone six months previously.Have you been to your doctor about your symptoms?

• Posted

Hi.

No, I have not gone to a doctor for testing yet. Trying to see if I can resolve this on my own. Thankfully, for the past two days, no pain. I have increased my carb intake, so I am assuming it's because of that.

• Posted

I would give it a week to see if your dietary changes help. If they don't, see your doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should go to a general physician or a gastroenterologist?

• Posted

Also, what are the symptoms of IBS?

• Edited

Also, as an update, on Saturday, I had no pain. On Sunday(today), I had no pain until after dinner. Dinner was cream of broccoli soup and some rye bread. Interesting that the pain only started today after this meal. Pain came with gas and some bloating. So, this could just be the food.

• Posted

See a general doctor first and ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist. Broccoli can cause gas, bread can cause bloating and cream can also irritate the gut. Try cutting out these foods to see if it makes a difference.

There are many symptoms of IBS and they differ for everyone.The main ones are abdominal pain that moves about, nausea, changes in bowel habit such as diarrhoea or constipation or a mixture of both. Some experience bloating and gas. Some find certain foods trigger attacks. Stress and anxiety can bring the flare ups on too and can cause IBS. I had no trigger foods.

• Posted

Thanks. I have not had diarrhea or constipation as issues. Just this abdominal pain. I will keep a diary and will track this closely.

Thanks so much for your help.

• Posted

If your body is in ketosis, depending on how low carb you are, then you need to up your salt intake. Something about the ketones use up your salts quicker so you need more. Are you eating lots of cheese? Salads? That upset my stomach a lot on keto. Artificial sweetners too. I'd do a food diary.

• Posted

Thanks!

I started doing a food diary. I don't eat that much cheese on the diet. I did notice that chinese food and sushi upset my stomach. I feel like i have a soy sensitivity. Did you ever have that?

I have also made it a point to increase salt as you mentioned.

• Edited

Yes, id definitely be sensitive to soy sauce because am gluten intolerant and most soy sauces has gluten! They do have soy sauce without gluten though. You said your pain was in your lower abdomen.. well, if I do get gluten in my system then my pain is located in my lower abdomen as well. Its like cramps, only in the morning like you said you have. May not be your problem but definitely worth testing yourself.. Id stayed away from gluten for about a week and reintroduced it..that's how I knew I was intolerant. And believe me you'll know!!

• Posted

Thanks so much. And you only noticed this gluten issue once you were on the low carb diet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.