Abdominal pain left rib to middle of abdomem

Posted , 2 users are following.

70 yrs old and have had many pain problems since heart bypass in 2004. My wife of 40yrs passed away 13 months ago. I was in no abdominal pain for the first 4 months. Since my bypass and a pericardial window the following year , I've had pain at the bottom of my left rib. But it only hurt when I lifted or pulled on something with my left arm. So 5 months after her death my abdomen started hurting really bad. Can't do anything. It hurts 24/7. Had endoscopy , normal. Had ct scan , normal. Can press on area , doesn't make it hurt. Shave the area for E K G makes the nerves quiver and hurt and those nerves extend down inside my abdomen. Cardiologist thinks , maybe a hernia. Told him I've had ct scan and nothing. He said if they aren't looking for a hernia they won't see it. If I'm restless and don't sleep well , the next day the pain is excruciating. Nobody seems to know what to do. One doctor said , we'll you know , as we age , we have to live with some pain. If that's the case , I have nothing else to offer society. Never been in so much pain for so long in my life with nowhere to turn.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oh you poor soul, first of all my sincere thoughts are with you after losing your wife, you must miss her terribly, now all these health problems your having now. Well I can't really give you real advice except keep on at your doctor, I'm 48 and was told by my doctor the same thing, you are going to have chronic pain for the rest of your life and all we can do is try and control it. Great! So I know how your feeling, however I still keep in touch with my doctor, just to see if there is anything else we can try. My thoughts are with you, it takes you to lose someone special to be able to truly understand.
  • Posted

If you had a hernia and it was painful, I would have thought you would see it poking out. You wouldn't have to look very far; it would be visible to the naked eye without the need for a scan.  It is also possible, something has been disturbed; this can happen after surgery.  Also ask about IBS.  This can be triggered after a stressful event.  If all your scans are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.  Do you have constipation, or diarrhoea along with the pain?  After chiropractory and deep tissue massage I got costochondritis (Ribcage pain) and then after a dodgy blood test, I developed IBS within two months of this.
  • Posted

If you had a hernia and it was painful, I would have thought you would see it poking out. You wouldn't have to look very far; it would be visible to the naked eye without the need for a scan.  It is also possible, something has been disturbed; this can happen after surgery.  Also ask about IBS.  This can be triggered after a stressful event.  If all your scans are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.  Do you have constipation, or diarrhoea along with the pain?  After chiropractory and deep tissue massage I got costochondritis (Ribcage pain) and then after a dodgy blood test, I developed IBS within two months of this.
  • Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

Hi Portacrean

You may gave a cracked rib...have you had an xray? as we age, and make no bones about it (excuse the pun) our bones do get weaker and we don't necessarily have to give them a very hard knock to break or crack them..you may have done it in your sleep twisting and turning or while doing a chore.

I would go back to your doc and ask to be referred for an xray...or just go to A and E yourself if the pain is bad.

It may be something completely different but its worth getting it checked out....best wishes...

• Posted

Hi Portacrean

You may gave cracked your rib...have you had an x-ray?..as we get older, and make no bones about it (excuse the pun!) are bones get weaker and we do not necessarily have to give them a hard knock to crack or break them. You may have done it in bed twisting and turning in your sleep or when you were carrying out a chore.

You should go back to your doc and ask for a referral for an x-ray..or if the pain is bad go to A and E yourself on the weekend.

This may not be your problem but its worth getting it checked out as something else may show on the x-ray......hope you get a diagnosis its no fun having pain and not knowing why.......best wishes....

• Posted

I've also had x-rays. Nothing. It's a spot between the breastbone and the left rib. In the soft area. I know I have a good bit of nerve damage from the past surgeries , and that has hurt for several years. This area has always hurt too. But NOTHING like it has been for the past several months. Doctors have alway said there wasn't much that could be done with nerve injuries. Oh , by the way , my bypass was done with the da vinci robot. Not matter what anyone tells you about it being less invasive with quicker recovery , DONT BELIEVE THEM. They just want the money because it is very expensive. I've been walking misery proof of it since 2004. And I'm not the only one. Anyway , I think there was more damage from it and it just gets worse every year. Just never been as debilitating as it has become. Thank you so much for your suggestion though. My ribs hurt too but I can tell it's nerves because it's shooting pains between the skin and the ribs. Had two nerve blocks that didn't help at all. But this pain is different. It gets unbearable. Any mor thoughts please don't hesitate. I'm out of thoughts. Thank you !
  • Posted

I have been suffering with this too. GP diagnosed costochondritis, but after steroids, still having pain. Have no idea what it is. Seeing GI Doctor next week about it though. Hope we find answers. 
    • Posted

Oh lordy ! If you happen to find out anything , post it back on here. I've been looking and testing for years. It's difficult to find a doctor who is truly interested in digging for answeres. If it doesn't jump up and slap them , they seem to brush it aside. I don't think doctors are as interested in their patients as they use to be. So good luck and I hope you do find an answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.