Abdominal Pain, Mucus, Diahhrea, Constipation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 42 year old male, I have had explosive diahhrea for 17 days with lots of foul smelling mucus. The diahhrea is not constant, usually after food. I have a pain / ache in my upper right hand side under my rib cage for a while. The diahhrea started after being out for Chinese food.

Diahhrea has now stopped for the last couple of days, still soft and only been once in the last 12 hours although I feel like I need to go.

I went and was constipated, I looked into the bowl to see clear mucus with red blood in it. I have not rectal pain. I am absolutely petrified that I have bowel cancer.

I visited my GP, a stool sample c/s was taken and came back clear, have bloods tomorrow and upper abdominal ultra sound on Saturday.

I have lost 9lbs in 10 days through absolute panicking and loss of appetite.

A few years ago I had a high FCP reading and have previously had a sigmoidoscopy/endoscopy/colonoscopy all clear but this was a few years ago and IBS was diagnosed.

I am absolutely petrified and can't stop physically shaking.

What is everyone's experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hopefully, the blood test wil help to sort out thngs, presuming that CEA level is included in the analysis.  A repeat colonoscopy would seem also to be appropriate.

The main thing though, Paul, is that bowel cancer is treatable.  I went through it just over two years ago.  Mine was fairly well advanced but fortunately hadn't spread to the lymphatic system.  Surgery was straightforward with only a few days needed as an in-patient. Chemo took longer but was not too much of a difficulty.  All tests subsequent to treatment have been encouraging and the anticipation is that the problem has been dealt with effectively.  Perhaps I should add that I was 77 when diagnosed.  So, if your diagnosis turns up as the worst case, it's not the end of the world.

• Posted

I'm unsure if CEA is included. Up to now my GP has not been very reassuring. Sticking to the NHS guidelines that I need to wait 4 weeks to see if symptoms settle etc before sending me for a referral. I have to be honest, I'm beside myself with worry. I think that might be causing half my issues.

I have just purchased an FOB test kit. The stool done by my GP on tested for bacteria and came back clear. Thank you for replying.

• Posted

I had very similar problems.  I started having blood in my stool in August and got a colonscopy in September, but nothing was found.  I let it go for a while until last month when I started having heavy rectal bleeding with mucus mixed in.  I just got another colonoscopy done today and they found very small internal hemerrhoids.  I'm not saying you have the same problem, but it is very likely, given the clear colonoscopy you had.  But if the problems still persist, maybe consider another colonoscopy.  And try not to worry too much, what you are experiencing is very common and I'm very sure it'll turn out to be nothing smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.