Abdominal pain, normal stools, no acid reflux - what is it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Abdomen pain with normal stool  - is this IBS?  I had gastic flu the end of March, and a week later generally was symtom free, I was under a lot of stress and so blamed stomach issues on that, however in the last 4 weeks I havent had the stress but Ive had abdominal pain, not localised or continuous but daily.  Its not constant and not severe, generally feels like trapped gas, bloating slightly. get a lot of gurgling sounds at night when I go to bed.. I eat a normal range of foods as I have done, dont drink much alcohol or fizzy drinks and generally stay away from junk food. And dont as far as I know have any food intolerances my diest hasnt really changed from before when I didnt have any issues.  I have no acid reflux, normal stools, no blood etc.   

I went to the docs and did a stool test this came back normal no action, he did prescribe 1 week of 20mg Omeprazole twice a day.   This made no real difference what I did notice was whilst taking this I felt extreme hunger pains about 2 hrs after eating a large meal.  Since stopping the tablets this has reduced the hunger pain after eating quite a bit.  So not sure if the tablets caused me to have these hunger pains? I tried reducing gluten for a couple of days but this made no difference  - I dont eat a lot of gluten anyway as mainly have oats for breakfast.  Im not sure if the gatic flu has cuased the upset

Im clueless if I have IBS?, tapeworm( although I havent noticed any signs of worms bt not that easy to spot? gastritis or something else - tempted to try DGL liquorice as Ive heard this works for gastric problems - anyone else had similar symptoms and found out what it is? or a solution?

Any help appreciated as its consuming my life lately

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have read that some people with IBS have normal stools but get the stomach pain.  However, it may be worth cutting out gluten completely

for a few weeks rather than just a few days and see what happens.  Gassy foods such as broccoli, cabbage and Brussel sprouts are also culprits. Try cutting out dairy, caffeine and any fatty, spicy or fried foods.  Have a look at the Fodmap diet as well which lists a more complete group of foods which can cause problems.

Also ask your doctor for a celiac test and stool tests for h pylori and other parasites.  Stomach bugs like gastric flu can also trigger IBS.

• Posted

Not really helpful what I am going to write, but I was told, a virus can cause aftermath in the function of intestine for 6-12 months. Given your gastric flu, it can well 'just' be an aftermath (of the not too severe kind).

• Posted

Thanks for the responses, I did consider it to be just lasting problems from the gastric flu and heard it can take months to sort itself out.  I had considered trying some self help options Ive read the following can be helpful:

salt flush

DGL Liquorice

Slippery Elm

Mastic gum

Not sure if anyone has tried these options and found they helped  - dont really want to bombard my body with lots of things as I wont know whats working and whats not.  I know if Im still feeling this way in a couple of days I will end up undergoing more tests.  

Something must be causing the gas build up, which is the root cause of the abdominal pains as they come and go and can hear and feel them  -which makes me think its more bacterial SIBO maybe?  

• Posted

I love slippery elm, rather in capsules than in powder (because it becomes so slimy to drink). But for my stomach, not for abdominal/gut pain.

I have not tried the other 3.

But one trial without any harm (except it can make you gasy at the start) are good probiotic capsules. Some are bifidus only, some bifidus and lactobacillus. I like those, that have some enterococcus in it for the colon as well. There is a seperate one in a thick capsule e.coli 1917 nissle. E.coli is not e.coli. There is a strain that is absolutely good for the colon. It cannot be combined with the other bifidus/lactobacillus powders/capsules.

Have a look into strengthening the guts with probiotics, too maybe. Since you mentioned SIBO.

Good luck!!! (for breath tests like fructose, lactulose, glucose (SIBO) and so on probiotics have to be stopped to be taken, too, just in case let you know) You can be tested easily for SIBO.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.