Abdominal pain- such a hard thing to diagnose!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So last weekend I started getting some stomach pain as I was eating. It was instant as soon as I swallowed my stomach would cramp up. 

I went to my GP and she said either gastritis or my gall bladder and did some blood tests and scheduled me for an ultrasound the following week. 

The pain got so bad the next day and i had started getting diarrhea so I went to the emergency department and they admitted me for 3 days. When they discharged me they said "maybe its gastritis" because the ultrasound was clear and my bloods were fine, a little frustrating for the amount of pain i am in, but they did refer me to a Gastroenterologist to get an endoscopy. 

Went to my GP to get my referral and she said my inflammation markers were up but she does also think its gastritis or a passed gallstone. I am on some tablets to help but instead of the diarrhea i havent pooped for six days, stillhave stomach pain, feel really full after eating and get what is almost like burps but im not burping its just air or gas coming up? its hard to describe.

anyone else? i need some light shed on my situation! 

please and thanks in advance  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Has IBS been mentioned?  Try a food diary to see if any food is causing stomach pain and bowel habit change.  It took me three and a half months to get diagnosed with IBS.  Stomach pain can mean so many things so loads of possibilities have to be ruled out first.  Does your pain move about your stomach?  That is typical of IBS as well as feeling full, bloated and gassy.
    • Posted

Dr asked if I had any family history of IBS and I said no so nothing more was said about it. 

The pain is mainly just under my ribs in the centre there. It's so hard to describe where it is but I hope that makes sense. 

I was also tested about 6 months ago for coeliac disease as I am iron deficient but that came back negative. 

I will try that, but at the moment it seems anything I eat sets the pain off. It's so frustrating because I'm actually hungry but don't want to eat. 

• Posted

It is possible to get IBS without having a family history of it.  Having a family history just means that you have more of a predisposition to it.  I told one of my doctors that my brother had it but she wasn't good enough to recognise it and my symptoms varied from his.  The doctor who diagnosed it didn't ask about a family history, he simply recognised my symptoms when he asked about stress which I had had a lot of at that time.  He was the first doctor to ask me about it.

• Posted

Oh okay makes sense! I have been stressed a lot too so I'm not surprised I am sick. 

I am seeing a gastroenterologist tomorrow for an endoscopy so I guess he may suggest it to me and go through what he thinks it might be. Is IBS something that comes and goes or would it always be there? Like everything you eat or do certain things make it worse? 

• Posted

My IBS pain was constant for three and a half months before diagnosis. After diagnosis, I stopped panicking about my health and my symptoms got a lot better and now they just come and go.  Stress is the only thing that triggers it; I have no IBS food intolerances.  IBS is very different for everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.