Abdominal Pain, Upper abdominal protrusion bloating, loss of appetite

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I am (was?) a relatively healthy 33 year old. I could probably lose a few pounds, but I am well within my BMI. 

For the past half a year I have had foul smelling gas and burping (I never burped much before!) but I didn't really think anything of it. Suddenly, a month ago, my stomach bloated, particularly the upper abdominal region which slightly protrudes now, and even when I'm not max bloated, this area still protrudes! I am always bloated to some degree...it never goes away! I am so bloated that, despite losing 8 lbs over the last month due to lack of appetite I cannot fit into my usual jeans or dresses.

In addition to the bloating, I have had pain, in particular around the ribs on both my right and left side, sometimes this pain is felt in my back as well. Sometimes it is sharp, sometimes it is dull. I also get a tenderness on my right side and on a few occasions have been unable to sleep on my right side. I also occasionally get pain in my lower abdominal region as well as aching in my limbs, which I'm not sure is related.

I have also experienced, for the first time in my life, periods of gastric reflux. I have stopped eating fat and spicy food as this seemed to trigger the gastric reflux.

I have had an ultrasound performed and the radiologist said my ovaries, pancreas, kidneys, liver, etc, all seemed fine. He found one gallstone in my gallbladder, but he did not think this could be the cause of my problems. There was no sludge in the gallbladder.

I have had a total blood count, pancreatitis associated bloodwork, general inflammation (slightly raised), ovarian cancer, iron, etc. blood work done. All of it seems okay apart from a slightly above normal level of inflammation.

At this point I am at a loss. I have been so ill for so long I am starting to think worst case scenario. I'm worried about pancreatic cancer, although my doctor reassured me that my blood tests combined with my ultrasound should mean that I am fine. It's the protrusion and constant bloating that worry me, more so than the pain.

I should add that I was diagnosed with IBS in my early 20's but this does not feel like IBS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I should add that I have also had bouts of pain in the upper middle abdominal area.
  • Posted

Your symptoms sound very like IBS. You are probably having an IBS 

flare up.  Pancreas worries are very common.  If your tests were normal for your pancreas, then you have nothing to worry about.  I worried about my pancreas but my doctor reassured me.

• Posted

Try distraction techniques like light exercise or a hobby  when you feel worried.  That will help your IBS to stabalise.  IBS can go into remission for a while and then come back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.