Abdominal pain vs back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have multiple low back problems, but had been doing well until a couple of weeks ago when i moved some boxes and started having back spasms again.  I’m scheduled to have a Radio Frequency  Ablation on my back on Friday.  Last week I was in the hospital 3 days after vomiting blood and having multiple bloody diarrhea bowel movements , a falling hemoglobin with lower abdominal pain and a low grade fever.    I’m home now on Flagyl ( decided not to take the Cipro) with a diagnosis of diverticulitis flare.  They ruled out an ulcer but did NOT do a colonoscopy or CT.  I’m to see gastro next week for follow up.  I’m slowly advancing my diet but still have abdominal pain.  It almost feels as if I had something in my lower belly...especially when I sit down and lean forward.  I really can’t determine if it is my back causing the pain or the diverticulitis.  This was my first ever bout with diverticulitis...they only found some diverticulosis about 4 years ago on a routine colonoscopy...I’m 65 y/o so it was not unexpected.  Do you think I might have a small abscess or hematoma in my abdomen or do you think the pain is just from my intestines being angry...or do you think it is all back pain I’m feeling?  The pain is severe enough that I have to take hydrocodone/acetaminophen on occasions.  And I take tizanidine for my back spasms occasionally.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I suffered with chronic acute diverticulitis for 18 months. In those 18 months I had 14+ ER visits confirmed through CT scan I was having attacks. I didn't refer them as flare ups, they are attacks. That doesn't include the multiple doctors visits in between. My last attack was this past February. For at least 2 months prior to my last attack I was in the chiropractor about every 2 weeks getting my lower back and pelvis readjusted. On May 11th I went in for a sigmoid colectomy which literally saved my life. Not to scare you but when the surgeon opened me up he said it looked like my appendix had burst (it didn't), all my lower organs were severely inflamed and infected, and swollen which was moving my spine and pelvic bones around. He literally had to flush out my abdominal cavity, all the organs before he could complete the surgery. There were so many pockets in my sigmoid area it was forming a huge pocket, lots of scar tissue and all the infection was leaking into my abdominal cavity, hence affecting my other organs and bone structure. I was very lucky he only had to remove 4", so I have minimal restrictions compared to others. But to answer your question, YES diverticulitis does affect your bones, muscles and organs. Since my surgery I no longer have lower back issues, nor Thank God diverticulitis symptoms.

• Posted

They wouldn’t do the RFA for my back pain since I’m still on Flagyl.  I don’t know what my August work schedule will be like so don’t know when they will be able to reschedule it.  All I know is my belly hurts and my back hurts...
  • Posted

Now comes more confusion...I saw the GI who did my EGD and he was very emphatic that I did have an ulcer and severe gastritis and he doubted diverticulitis.  It was my internal med doctor who said no ulcer and that I had diverticulitis.  GI doesn’t even think I need a colonoscopy right now.  I feel good and have added Metamucil to my diet for extra fiber,  Guess I’ll just watch and wait to see what happens next...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.