Abdominal Problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a senior citizen of advanced age (above 80 yrs) but still in reasonable health state. Advanced age is associated with many health problems. Since long, I have been feeling incomplete/ delayed gastric emptying of intestine while going to the bathroom in the morning. Docs always said it is IBS though I did not have its peculiar symptoms. Many detailed abdomnal tests repeatedly done also showed no serious problem. Any way the time have been passing and this problem was being tackled. Now this problem has aggravated. The Docs have been examining my abdomin and did not suspect any serious problem.At this age , I do not like to go into detailed tests as before.

I like to have the views of others particularly people of advanced age who have been feeling such a problem. I have used many types of fibre but without good results. The best results in my case are produced by a fibre ISpaghol (possibly called isogel also) but I cannot take it regularly as creates ulcers in my mouth.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

When you say you have incomplete emptying of your intestine, do you mean that you have incomplete bowel movements when you go to the loo?  If you do, you are experiencing an IBS symptom esoecially if all tests are negative.  Do you have stomach pain that moves about p, change of bowel habit or food intolerance?
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. Although IBS was diagnosed for me since long; 30 years back. Yet except incomlete/ delayed emptying which could possibly be its only symptom I have been feeling. Never felt pain. Recently with advanced aging it has further deteriorated. Fibres should work but they do not work well for me except an ordinary local Ispaghol which I cannot take daily as it causes ulcers in my mounth. Tackling with this problem since long has become my habit though it is more problematic now.
    • Posted

Thanks for your views. I have started a Laxative since last night which was advised by Gastroentologist when I met him yesterday. I will wait for its results.
    • Posted

Laxatives should work; I tried them short term when fruit was not helping much and it relieved the constipation.  Now, I rely on fruit, particularly oranges and grapes if I get bunged up. 
  • Posted

firstly, are you eating enough to keep a constant passage of food through your system?  When I cut my food right back to stop the IBS problems it had an enormous effect on going to the toilet where it took about 45 mins as colon was so sluggish.  I started with prune juice taken around 8:30pm which helped enormously and much better than laxitives which tend to leave me attached to the toilet for days!  also eat dates and prunes,  I have upped my food intake since then so proper meals of meat and veg  (avoid dry foods such as bread/cakes/biscuits etc).
    • Posted

Thanks. I will also try prune. I don'n think Prune Juice is aval in our country. At least, Prune can be tried if  juice not available

• Posted

Thanks. I will also try prune. I don'n think Prune Juice is aval in our country. At least, Prune can be tried if  juice not available

• Posted

when taking Prunes, Did you notice any change in blood sugar level. As I read about it one has to be careful about it sugar component also
    • Posted

I have never had my blood sugar tested so I don't know and I I have have no idea what the symptoms would be if my blood sugar was high. I wouldn't worry about the sugar content anyway unless you are diabetic.  There are a lot of scare stories about sugar and salt.  One day you read it is good for you and the next day it is bad.  I don't bother with these stories.  I just have sugar and salt in moderation.  Your body needs them but in moderate amounts.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. In younger days, one does not bother to check BP or Sugar but as the age advances, keeping a check on these two problems has to done as various other health problems can be created due to increased BP or Blood Sugar.
    • Posted

If a problem arose, I would force myself to go to the doctor.  But I wouldn't go for a health check for no good reason because medical visits cause me tremendous strain and anxiety and when I get treatment things tend to go wrong.  I have iBS brought on by a medical mistake and a visit to my doctor is one of the things that could trigger a flare up.

• Posted

I have been eating about 4 fresh prunes for the last about 4 days which has good effect on my problem. However I felt slight burning in my food pipe whether it was due to prunes or Laxative or both which I take one one teaspoon full. BVy the way any idea, how many fresh prunes per day should be alright for such a problem.

I have not tried dates as my sugar level remain pre-diabetes hence I try to be careful. I never had diabetes but now in my advanced age, it comes up to prediabetes level though Docs don't feel that I should start some medication for it. My Roche performa Glucometer shows my fasting level lesser than 100( usually 89-98) but when tested in Lab it is noticed 125.

• Posted

Prunes are not acidic so they shouldn't cause heartburn and I wouldn't have thought laxatives should cause burning either.  They are more likely to make your stools softer or too loose and cause stomach pain if you eat too many of them. Since you are taking prunes to get a laxative effect, you shouldn't need a chemical laxative on top unless prunes alone are not workimg.

The amount of prunes you should take varies with everyone. Try a small amount first, and then try a larger number if you feel you need more.  If you take too many, reduce the portion.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I plan not to take laxative this evening. Let us see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.