Abdominal Ultrasound

Posted , 5 users are following.

Quick question here. Would an abdominal ultrasound show Pancreatitis?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not always. It is my understanding the best imaging tools for the Pancreas are an EUS and MRCP.

• Posted

It would need to be at an advanced stage to be visible on an abdominal ultrasound.

• Posted

Not a great tool for this. Abdominal gas, among other things can obstruct ( or attenuate) the frequencies from seeing that deep. This is why EUS is used, as you can place the transducer right against the pancreas head through the duodenum. MRCP is good, however it is not great at showing early/mild CP as it does not image the side branching ducts within the pancreas very well (good for main duct and common bile duct).

The 2 times I have had an abdominal ultrasound they weren't even able to see my pancreas.

• Posted

Thanks guys thats exactly what i thought. I need an EUS or MRCP but cant convince anyone to give me one and i cant afford to go private.

• Posted

I never give up. I will keep trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

• Posted

Please don't quit looking, there is a Dr. out there somewhere that can help you !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.