ABG Test

Posted , 7 users are following.

How soon will I know if I need oxygen have test this Friday 9/3/18 thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Everyone progresses differently, your doctors and medical team will be able to advise you about your treatment. This will depend on results of tests etc. and how you are coping with everyday living. One of the most important things is to try not to worry, I know it's easy to say but not easy to do, but worry won't help at all. Good luck with your tests on Friday, let us know the outcome please.

• Posted

Blood gases an unusual test nowadays in the absence of an immediate severe illness, at least in Central Texas. Nurses, etc., so rusty on the procedure that I'd be hesitant.

But to answer: docs are quick to tell you if they feel you need oxygen. Never any delay. My ex needed it about 13 years after COPD DX while I still don't. He was at much higher stroke risk, too.

• Posted

My doctor prescribed oxygen as soon as I was diagnosed.  I did not know I had COPD until I was diagnosed and was at Stage 2.  I use the O2 only during the night and if I take a nap at some time during the day.  I truly feel it has saved my life!!  I am sad to see people that dread the day they have to use oxygen.  I am grateful that my doctor AND my pulmonary doctor prescribed O2 immediately.  I have a LOT of energy, have not had to use my rescue inhaler at all for 7 years and my appetite is great!  I walk 2 to 3 miles a day.  I am on Spiriva and Symbicort daily.  I am 76 years old but feel 40!!!  I actually plan to live another 20 years!!!!  smile
    • Posted

no shame in using oxygen. except if still smoking. yes, there are some very stupid people out there. The combination of Spiriva and symbicort really helping me also. I have a head start on you, im 88 years old and feel like 50. My plan is to live to 100, only 12 years to go. Then i will set a goal for 120... Moses did iwinkt
    • Posted

Bless you Morty!!!! A positive attitude is what we all need!!!! How long have you had COPD?
    • Posted

i was dgnsd COPD/ emphysema 1991 and was given 5 years. HA!  i have been on COPD FORUM since 2005 when i was in ATRA study.
    • Posted

Yes, Morty, you are amazing!  I have never been told "how much time" I have and I don't want to know.  You have proven that time predictions can be SO wrong!!  Keep up whatever you are doing!! XOX

• Posted

Results of the ABG test will reveal all.  You probably know by now.  How did you get on?
  • Posted

Well that was a waste of time ,do not need oxygen when sitting or resting Making new appointment to test when walking ect .Ido not go out any more get out off breath having shower getting dressed and playing with new Grandson.

• Posted

exertion.....thats where o2 is generally needed. cant and shouldnt sit around. inquire about getting a POC.
    • Posted

being short of breath with a diagnosis of COPD is a usual day to day experience.  Being short of breath doesn't necessarily mean you need oxygen.  Oxygen isn't prescribed just because you are short of breath.

Good news you do not need oxygen when sitting or resting, keep fingers crossed you pass the the walk test too.

• Posted

I expect by now you will have the results back from your ABG test,  hope it was good news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.