Ablation for svts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I'm having an ablation on Monday i will be awake throughout the procedure and I'm petrified! Can anybody give me any reassurance or advice? Tell me about your experience of having one? I just don't know what to expect or how I will cope! Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen - I had the same July 17 - best thing I ever did! Where are you having yours? 
    • Posted

That's good to know. Thanks Rebecca . I'm having it done at Blackpool Victoria hospital.

• Posted

I was worried too but found the entire process amazing. You are awake but sedated so you are very relaxed and comfortable. The team administer pain relief throughout and there are lots of people looking after you. Before ablation my SVTs were weekly and left me feeling dreadful. I had adrenalin running through me all day and night, literally couldn't eat, had the shakes, nauseous, tired, foggy head etc etc. During an Svt I would feel faint, sweaty, dizzy, etc. They stopped me from doing normal things like taking my kids out because I was frantic I would get one. I saw a consultant on the Monday and he booked me in for ablation on the Friday so I did not have much time to worry. I am so grateful to my consultant because he literally gave me my life back. Sounds dramatic I know but he fixed me and I am back to my old self. After the procedure my groin was tender like a bad bruise. You have to take it slowly for about 2 weeks to give your heart time to heal. Even if you feel okay do not do anything manual as you will feel it the next day and it will set you back. Example: post op day 7 felt great, lifted hose to fill paddling pool, chest pain the following day and had to sleep upright as it aggravated my heart. Lesson learned- spent another week resting. How long have you suffered with SVTs Karen? 

• Posted

Thanks Rebecca that is useful and reassuring. I've had palpitations for about 25 years svts for about 10 years. They are not as frequent at the moment probably once a week. It just sets off from no where. Racing fast not for long tho and I find gulping water settles it. But straight after I get like pressure in my head for a few seconds. Like you it's taken over my life. Fingers crossed it works as well as yours did. So pleased for you. Where did you have yours done? Thanks again it's good to talk to someone that's had a positive result.

• Posted

Hi Karen 

I’ve had 2 ablations for paroxysmal AF. The first done with Chryo and the second was with heat but can’t remember the proper name! Like you very apprehensive but all staff were just lovely. Was given a sedative but awake and it was ok just a couple of uncomfortable moments but not awful . Recovery was fine just flat for an hour and a night in. Unfortunately didn’t get rid of the problem which is not unusual. Had the second one in December which was more uncomfortable but still ok. Had quite bad chest pain the day after which again is normal but hadn’t had it the previous time so wasn’t happy. Felt like I had an elephant on my chest! That passed after a day. I did take it more easy the second time which I think is wise.

It is better this time but still not 100% worked. Some of that is down to other things with me. I have just spoken to someone who has had a second one and he’s great and no more symptoms.

Please don’t get too anxious as it’s really an ok procedure and wouldn’t hesitate to have it done again. 

Hope all goes well 

• Posted

Hi Hilian

Thank you for that it is very reassuring to know others experiences and to know what to expect. Glad it worked better for you the second time. X

• Posted

Hi Karen, wondering how your ablation went? I’m on the waiting list for ablation.
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl. It was cancelled mid afternoon due to no beds. I'm booked in again on 5th April. It was a long day waiting for it. Fingers crossed it goes ahead next time. Good luck with yours . X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.