Ablation - going for it!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks. Well, next phase for me is ablation. New consultant feels best way forward, and to be honest, I need to consider a way to manage my rapidly increasing and lengthy episodes. No hanging about! In in 4 weeks! Been put onto thinners in readiness. Here goes nothin! Will update with outcome. Fingers crossed for a good one!! 😁

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have just had my third ablation. The other two worked but stressful situations set me off again. This time I am working hard on the coping strategies to ensure that this one lasts. Good luck. Be prepared for episodes in the first few weeks until it heals. I had to have cardioversion the morning after but all calming down now.
    • Posted

Hi Judith. Ok. Good to hear that, and thanks for your progress update. Doc is optimistic as I've no other medical background stuff going on, but has warned I might need a repeat (amongst the other warnings!) . How long have you taken to return to work or equivalent level please?
  • Posted

I felt better by the end of a week and ready to go. Different experience each time. I bled after second one and so was pretty bruised. I also have no other health issues and so was back to it pretty quickly and both lasted about six months but as I say stress is my trigger and I was still in a stressed situation.
    • Posted

Thanks for this. That fits with what cardiologist has indicated 're. time off, providing no surprises.
  • Posted

GOOD LUCK, HOPE ALL GOES WELL ... FINGERS AND TOES ALL CROSSED FOR YOU . .
    • Posted

Jay, thank you. I'm going with positive approach, hoping to feed back good results!!
    • Posted

Good luck, Ablation may be on the cards for me too if my second cardioversion fails, (fingers crossed it won't)! Try to stay stress free, let us all know how you go on. Cheers. 
    • Posted

Thank you, and I'll be sure to update after. Hope your procedure goes to plan too.
    • Posted

My procedure didn't go to plan exactly. I was on the cath lab table with the EP., doing my procedure and after approximately three hours he told me he had to abhort the procedure because the cryo had malfunctioned, but he told me he had mapped the rogue electrical impulses that were causing my AF., So I had to go back 28 days later and go through it all again. So if ther's anyone on here worrying about their first abaltion, as far as I'm concerned its nothing to worry about. My secong procedure went well and my EP., when he came to see me after told me that my prognosis was very good for not going back into AF. Having said that nothing is 100% certain, although I'm now 15 months post abaltion and feeling good, with no palpitations or any other problems. Stable blood presssure around 115/78 and pulse average 77 beats per minute. My age is 67 years. .
    • Posted

John, can I ask if you're still on thinners or any other meds please?
  • Posted

Well, I've been ablated on Wednesday just gone, and I'm back home recovering slowly. Took just over 2hrs for me, and the only external indications I have are a small drip bruise in my elbow and a very neat groin wound. Still feeling a bit battered, but getting there slowly. The headaches aren't good, but I'm told those will pass, and I keep dipping into mild AF, which again I'm told should pass as I heal. So far, so good!
    • Posted

Well done CC. Hope that you take the advice of everyone else who's had it done and take it easy!! Easier said than done. Keep us posted.
    • Posted

Cheers! Luckily and quite by chance, I had a week off before going in, so ive been able to do a lot then. Just flexing the online shopping as I recline now!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.