Ablation is 2 weeks out.. any advice?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well, my ablation is scheduled for 2 weeks from yesterday. So far, here is what I am requesting:

- I am declining versed ("happy juice"wink before the anesthesia. I don't need something to calm me down, just get straight to the sedation

- I am instructing my doctor to not do the ablation if he discovers the pathway is super close to my AV node (can happen with AVNRT). If there is an increased risk that I will need a pacemaker, I am instructing him to pull out (I'm 16 and my episodes are minor - I'll take SVT over needing a pacemaker for the rest of my life)

- I am requesting monitored anesthesia care (MAC) which is twilight sedation instead of the general anesthesia they always do in pediatric patients. My doctor said he is willing to do that, and (1) it gives a higher chance of them starting the SVT, plus (2) I really hate the idea of general anesthesia so I'd love to avoid it if possible

Any other advice from those of you who have had the procedure? Is there anything I can possibly do to improve my experience that you've learned?

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Tell them to put some music for you, my doctor put some Bob Dylan and was chill.

Don't think too much let it flow, you have several people taking care of you.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get ride of your pesky SVT.

Also very important is the aftermath, the first 2 days try to relax and don't force yourself to do heavy lifting or walking too much.

Pain is normal, ectopics are extremely normal, feeling like you are going into SVT Is normal, palpitations are normal unless 200+ BPM.

Your heart takes up to 6 months to heal and in that time it will do bits and bots.

Don't worry and enjoy life.

• Posted

Yes, thank you for reminding me of the music. I know someone who said their doctor let them take their phone and earbuds to listen to music. The only thing that sucks is, if the earbuds fall out (and mine do a lot), you're sort of out of luck. Also, my phone pauses randomly a lot - not like you can move to press play again. Oh well, there's flaws in everything - at least you could enjoy it while it lasts smile

• Posted

Well in my case I had a nurse at my side all the time asking if I needed somethibg, if I was OK and also was talking about life and stuff but she didn't move from my side for the 2 hours I was there which was nice!

• Posted

When I had my ablation I had general anesthesia and I'm glad I did. They also found a total of 5 abnormal rhythms. 

I went into atrial fibrillation, so they had to cardiovert me. I was glad I didn't have to feel anything at all. 

• Posted

I had nothing before hand, except for my groin numbing.. It really isn't bad at all just relax and let the experts do what they do 4/5 times a day, it will feel strange as hell, if you need anything ask them, they will of heard every possible request several times.

Don't worry about the length of it either, it will be over in a flash.

As for afterwards the area they enter is going to hurt, mine was hurting for a couple of days, they will explain what to look out for, so it isn't a worry.

As for your heart, it's going to be feeling harassed and will respond so, I had palps, skips, weird rhythms and like a strange heavy chest.. I took my son for a walk a day after and I had to run after him and I thought I was going to pass out, so definitely take it easy. You will know when your good to go.

7 months later I still feel absolutely every skip, I'm over sensitive to any thing that effects my heart rate, the mental effect of the condition has had on me, I take a second, breath and it goes away.

I would drive to the hospital and have it done again right now if I had to, it really was as straight forward as it gets.

I hope it all goes well for, and I hope you enjoy life again without the thought of 'what if it happens here' bugging you daily.

Good luck

Craig

• Posted

The advice to let things happen is the best. I had it nine months ago, and took the sedatives. I have had no problems since although still get the ocassional flutter. Always remember the Drs will prepare you for the worst.I had been advised of the possible need for a pacemaker but it never happened.  I had SVT for something like 20 yrs until the procedure and it is good to be free of it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.