Ablation Questions

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys. 

Sorry for all the posts. So as some of you may have seen I have seen an electrophysiologist and he wants me to consider an ablation based on the fact that I have fainted several times with Svt. 

I just have a few questions that would help me greatly! 

1. How often do you get svt if you were considered for an ablation? I have been reading that they suggest it when it happens often but that doesn’t help me! Hahaha. Usually I get it once a fortnight. 

2. Were you able to manage your symptoms when you had an ablation? My episodes only last 2-3 minutes as the valsalva helps so much. Without this they can easily go on for much longer. 

3. Do you find svt gets worse with age and pregnancy? 

4. He has said I can be asleep or conscious. Is there any benefit to either? 

5. How did you find the recovery? I’ve been reading the first three months can be a bit iffy?

If anyone would like to share their experience or has any advice that would be much appreciated. 

Thank you smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I started out with SVT 5 years ago and it had not yet been dianosed. Didn't happen very often until last year. I probably had 7 episodes in one month. I asked the cardiologist if it got more frequent and worse episodes with age. He said each person is different. . He had a patient that didn't have one for 13 years and then he started having them again. 

After an ablation, it takes 3 months for the heart to heal. Ablation is 95% effective. 

I had a little shortness of breath and was tired for 3 months. No pain though. I did have some palpitations, but that is a chance you might have them until the heart is completely healed. This is all what my cardiologist has told me. 

• Posted

My pistoles inteferred with my life. It got to the point I quit driving for fear of passing out while driving. I had an ablation last October and eventually started back driving after I felt I wasn't going to have anymore episodes. 

The different techniques didn't work on me and I wasn't wanting this to control my life. 

• Posted

Hi Emily. The ablation usually takes less than an hour and is usually a complete cure for SVT. 

It is much less stressful than just one SVT episode. 

Go for it....

• Posted

Emily,

My svt has gotten worse as I have aged.  I was diagnosed 20 years ago. One time I went 5 years without an episode and then had a few years with several a year and then again 2 years without an episode, but the last few years they have been several times a year.  In the past they would usually go away without intervention, but now I have to go for the dreaded adenosine. I was hoping to have an ablation this year but now have a thyroid problem and my cardio wants that to be corrected before the ablation. If you are having many episodes, I would recommend an ablation, especially if you are young. As you know, the episodes are very stressful and scary.  

• Posted

Hi Emily

I was getting SVT about every two weeks in the end, but the advice of my Cardiologist was that when it effects your life to the point that you consider not doing things as a consequence - taking an overnight ferry in my case, it's time to get it fixed. 

I had the ablation 3 years ago and not a single SVT since. 

If you are awake you can get discharged quickly, sedation will require a longer recovery. I was awake and it was fine. It's odd really more than frightening and there wasn't any pain. 

The first week I was tired, I went back to work after 5 days. I work in the health service and my colleagues wouldn't let me come back! For about a month I got a few heavy hearts beats and thumps, but it wasn't bad at all. 

Depending on your age and fitness levels, recovery in some can take longer. 

I'm a 45 year old guy, so can't comment on the pregnancy question, however a friend with it went on to have 2 beautiful babies, she's never had it ablated. 

SVT as you get older tends to get worse. Over the 14 years I was diagnosed, I went from once every 18 months, to once every two weeks. 

It's very safe, effective and life changing. Go for it and join the SVT free club! 

Chris

• Posted

I had my ablation last October. I now experience that my heart rate goes from 75 to 120 just walking across a room. If I get too hot, my heart rate will shoot up to 130. i'm' trying to find someone that may have the same experience after an ablation and this long of a time since an ablation?

• Posted

Go for it, It will change your life. if your like me your probably googling all the risks associated with it but theres absolutely nothing to worry about , the technology and the experience these doctors have nowadays is second to none. There's probably more of a risk of crossing the road than having an ablation these days! I've had my ablation just over a month ago and it's been such an easy recovery .. it's such a daunting thing to think about and I know exactly how you feel but it's something you just have to go for.. if it's not now it will be sometime in the future, go for it , you won't regret it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.