Ablation v Esmya?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've never joined a forum before, I just read everyone else's, but as I'm desperate for anyone's help or advice I have decided to join. 

I am nearly 51 years old and have a 3cm fibroid which was discovered after having the marina Coil removed after 8 years. I sometimes bleed heavily with clots for 3-4 days and my periods are all over the place. Sometimes 32 days apart then 18 days apart.  My gynaecologist who says I am perimenopausal first suggested an endometrial ablation, but then I read about Esmya and thought it might help shrink the fibroid, stop this horrendous bleeding and give me some time to see if the menopause will kick in, as you can use it for up to a year, which would then make me 52. I am terrified of having a general anasthetic which is what I would have to have for the ablation as the last anasthetic I had some 20 years ago, I woke up on the operating table and remember the whole experience.  I am slowly going crazy with worry as not sure which option to choose, can anyone give me their experiences of either?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I had to reply. I had Endo In March 2015 and it made the symptoms worse. I would opt for Esyma 1st if I works you would avoid surgery if it doesn't then at least it could shrink them making surgery easier.i was diagnosed in June 2014 and if I knew then what. I know now then I would have Esyma 1st then UFE if that failed. I don't see the point of endo ablation as I doesn't shrink or remove the Fibroid.. whatever you decide good luck and do lots of research. I have found Gynocolgy try to push for Hysterectomy don't be pushed unless you want one of course then it's your choice.

• Posted

Thanks Patricia, I've decided already to go for the Esmya drug first then see how things go after a year. I've heard many people say the ablation doesn't always work like yourself and don't want to put myself through that if I don't have to. Waiting now for the prescription to arrive from gyno. To be fair my consultant hasn't pushed hysterectomy but did push the ablation. It was me who researched and suggested to her this Esmya drug. All very confusing. How are you now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.