Ablation with an ICD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all - Following on from a heart attack almost 2 years back followed by a number of VT episodes followed by cardiac arrests, I had an ICD inserted. I am also on a number of meds including Amiodarone, Toprol-XL and Entresto (amongst others).

I have had a number of VT episodes since the ICD was implanted but fortunately the device has quickly corrected my heart with no major shocks to date (touch wood).

My EP has told me that my device paces me at almost 100%. I am assuming that means the device is essentially running my heart.

On top of this, my latest VT episode was January and following this, my EP has suggested an ablation. He did say that it is a last resort as it would then totally have the ICD running my heart. Can someone please explain what this means.

Appreciate the forum.

regards

Steven

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steven,

My hubby had an ICD implanted in June 2018 after his H.A in February 2018. The beta blocker bisoprolol caused him really bad side effects, suddenly, the cardiologist told him he had ectopic beats (he never felt them) and put him on amiodarone. In September 2018 he had an ablation where upon he was told he had multi ectopic beats, they took him off the amiodarone.

The ICD kicks in if you have a cardiac arrest to try and restart the heart, hubbies is also a pacemaker, I expect you have the same, which helps to control the heart rhythm. The ICD does not stop you having an heart attack.

• Posted

Thanks Jen. How did he go on the amiodarone. I take it daily morning and evening and it's tough on the body. Between it, the Toprol and Entresto, my running career is pretty much over.

And how has hubby been with the ablation?

What I don't understand is why they keep the ablation will mean for me that I will be 100% reliant on the ICD. That is, it will be pacing me at 60 beats at 100% of the time. The heart won't be relied upon moving forward. Or will they have the device pace the heart initially at 100% and over time they can pull back and let the heart do some work on its own?

• Posted

Steven,

Your heart is not redundant and still operates as normal. The pacemaker part of the ICD helps to regulate your beats. The defib does not stop you having a heart attack. If your heart stops as in a cardiac arrest which is different to a heart attack, it jolts the heart to restart it, you still need to exercise and look after your heart as your heart is running your body, not the ICD. Instead of running, maybe join a leisure centre and use the treadmill, bike or elliptical walker.

The ablation, the surgeon uses heat or cold to kill off part(s) of the heart to regulate beats. My hubbies was supposed to take 2 hours but ended up taking 4 hours as they said he has multi ectopic bests, then he had 4 hours lying on his back therefore, a day surgery ended with him staying overnight.

He never had a problem with the amiodarone but, it was stopped after the ablation, he has never felt any difference with his heart beats, it is the doctors telling him he has the ectopic beats.

Do take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.