Ablation worth it?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I don't tolerate meds well. I don't read about side effects until after I experience them. Anyway. If you had it how was recovery? Did you stay calm during the procedure? Did it correct your issues? Thank you for sharing. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Depends  why you need one. I had Ventricular Tachycardia and I couldn't tolerate Beta-Blockers, so chances are an ablation has saved my life as I no longer go into VT.

That was early April.

Recovery?, there is something seriously wrong with me and I dont know if it was caused by the beta-blockers that I stopped taking in March, that they have permanently damaged my autonomic system, or the ablation that has kept me alive, but at a great cost, or the underlying and un-diagnosed heart problem that is steadily getting worst. At the moment I am wearing a 48 hour Holter ECG monitor, tomorrow I have a stress ecg.

The 48 hour recording will show when I was walking my heart beat suddenly dropping down to 52 then when I stopped walking shooting up to 151, it will show a complete absence of the QRS complex every fourth beat when I had a meal.

I was remarkably fit and well apart from ectopic beats until I had beta blockers then an ablation, I now wonder every evening if I will wake up the following morning.

As for the procedure, I told the cardiologist I would much rather experience my motorcycle accident where my lower leg was hanging off than go through that again.

• Posted

I had ablation on 7th July this year for AVNRT. I remained perfectly calm during the procedure thanks to sedation. You are awake and aware but relaxed and quiet. Recovery was great - I felt hugely better immediately on leaving the Cath Lab. Some heart soreness on and off for two weeks but nothing drastic. 8 weeks on and still doing great - no SVT since so desperately hoping my ablation was a success. My life is now back to normal- no SVTs or the panic that goes along with them.

Good luck on your journey. 

• Posted

Hi Rebecca 

Do you still have flutters? i had my ablation aug 1st for AVNRT and im getting flutters and PVC/PACS. Ive done ecgs and is shows NSR which I am greatful for but I am loosing my mind trying to wrap my mind around the symptoms. As well as I do have the odd lightheadedness that is not linked to anything.. says the doctors. 

Im wondering if the Palpitations and flutters are normal?  Its only been 6 weeks... am I overreacting ? 

Megan 

• Posted

Hi Megan

Give yourself 3 months to heal properly. Flutters/ palpitations are normal. Try not to worry and over analyse every sensation. Your heart needs time to recover. So does your mind after SVTs, catheter ablation and all the stress that goes along with it. Where did you have your ablation?

Take care

Rebecca 

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, 

I know I am not supposed to over analyze every little sensation but it is very stressful. I live in canada so I had it at Trillium Hospital. 

My doctor was amazing and Does not think my lightheadedness is connected to my pacs/pvcs. It is just very frustrating to always be afraid and anxious. 

Wishing you well 

Megan 

• Posted

Hi David. 

I responded very well to the Ablation.. the only pain in the rear that I have to Complain about is the bruise/pain in the groin after the surgery. It went away within 4 weeks.  I was awake during surgery, however I was sedated and given pain killers. I was still able to feel some burning and some poking that was going on. The worst part was them passing my heart - felt like etopic beats & the adrenaline they give u makes u want to go on a speed walk but You cant get up lol 

They remove the catheters once you are in ur bed and awake.... hated it. Painful and I bled a lot. The place where they have to put pressure on to stop the bleeding can cause you to passout or throw up so they gave me more adrenaline to keep my BP up.. 

Those are the downfalls I had HOWEVER 

Would I do it again? Yes 

Did i have any fears during it? No 

Worst part? Recovery- walking was a struggle

Best part? - no more svt - knock on wood. 

Take in consider, age and current health and heart status. Assuming current health is average, I would go right in it. If i had to, i would do it again and again Until i had no more SVT. SVT and frequent adenosine is worse then the 1.5 hours i was in surgery. 

Wishing well

Megan 

• Posted

I was on two different meds for my arrythmia and was still getting breakthrough episodes, so I knew I had to do something about it. I had my ablation on August 15. Yes, I stayed as calm as I possibly could during the procedure.

Doctor says there's a 95% chance that it was a success. I have been off all heart medications and have been feeling very good.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.