Ablations

Posted , 10 users are following.

I did some research in the Stanford hospital library.

In 1861 the accepted treatment for pneumonia is dehydration and 

bleeding because there is too much liquid in the lung, for some 

reason.

In 2016 the accepted treatment for atrial fibrillation was ablation of 

parts of the heart where, for some reason, false signals were 

originating, for some reason.

In 2100 . . . . 

Reactions welcome !

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Give us a clue. What ya talking about?
  • Posted

I get it. In 2100 some genetic treatment to revive the substrate of the heart will take care of the whole problem with propagation of electrical impulses. Now all I need to do is live to 2100. 162 years old shouldn't be a problem. I'll hire Dorian Gray's portraitist. 

Whatever happened to the MAZE procedure where the surgeon opened the chest and cut a pattern into the heart muscle? Stuff changes.

• Posted

Thought it over. 1861 was wrong. We r probably wrong now. But who do we trust?

It's like raising kids. U do the best u can when u r doing it, only to find out years later u wasted your time. They are rotten anyway.

My brain hurts now.

• Posted

By then cardiologists would be able to produce perfect hearts by 3D printers!
  • Posted

Thankyou, first laugh of the day. The only way they are getting their probes and knives into me will be at the autopsy - - - -
  • Posted

I love irony.  

Ablation seems to work in less than 50% of patients, and probably way less.  More importantly, long term (a year or more) follow-up studies are non existent.  There may be a reason why (excuse the irony).  

• Posted

Yeah, I love how they put me on Flecainide (and have kept me on it) immediately after my ablation so there was never any real chance to see if it had worked on its own. I only know that three or four years later, I'm still on this medication, and if I stop taking it, the symptoms return. I've heard of people getting four or five ablations. Going from ironic to moronic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.