Abnormal ALT and AST

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband recently had some abnormal LFT numbers.

ALT 111 and AST 71, everything else is normal. 

He is scheduled for an ultrasound Tuesday. I’m worried.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear your husband’s liver enzymes are abnormal. I dealt with this recently myself, and with all the symptoms and rampant googling I couldn’t help but leap straight to the conclusion that I had something terrible. Turned out it was just a bit of harmless inflammation that went away in due time. Worrying and getting anxious can definitely make things worse for both of you, and can cause all sorts of things like dizziness, nausea and other nasty symptoms that could easily be mistaken for something much worse. I definitely know how hard it can be to convince yourself it’s nothing serious. Elevated liver enzymes do mean there’s inflammation in the liver or that something is wrong, but there’s a reliable chance it’ll end up being something non-threatening. Best wishes to both of you.
  • Posted

My understanding is that ALT and AST blood tests do not necessarily measure liver function.  They measure cell damage that *might* indicate liver damage.  So, for instance, if your husband had just worked out with weights before his blood test or does so regularly, that could easily account for the elevated result.  I think that most primary care physicians do not know about this correlation with exercise, but if those are the only two numbers that were elevated, I really would not worry very much.  If he exercises a lot, you might look at literature on liver function tests and athletes/exercise.  I wish him the best results from his ultrasound.  
  • Posted

I also found out when this happened to me that only 1 in 10 people who have only these two numbers elevated in a blood panel ultimately end up having anything wrong with them, so wanted to add that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.