Abnormal ECG can this be caused by anxiety/stress?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Going for a colonoscopy on Tuesday so had a pre op today. Nurse did an ECG which came back abnormal. My anxiety levels have been extremely high and I know this is due to peri and health anxiety. Have any of you ladies had an abnormal ECG caused by anxiety or ECG was abnormal but on further investigation all was well?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes!!! I have had two over the past 4 years since all of this peri crap started... I have massive health anxiety every time I go to the doctor and my heart right is always higher there

• Posted

thankyou for your reply, I just wish life could be a little less stressful and all these symptoms especially anxiety would ease off

• Edited

hello kylie

i have never gone for any of these tests. i only want to leave words of encouragement with you:

1. kylie nothing is wrong. The colonoscopy report will be fine. say to yourself repeatedly i am fine.
    2. whose report do you believe kylie? the doctors or JESUS the mighty healer? Kylie hold onto JESUS. say to yourself, my body is the temple of the most high GOD and so nothing can defile me. sickness CANNOT defile me. by the stripes of JESUS i am healed
    3. have faith and know that you are an overcomer.
    4. pray always. study the word of GOD
    5. listen to christian messages. wow! i love that of joel osteen. go to youtube.

God bless you. you will surely testify of GOD's goodness

• Posted

Thankyou for your kind words I will try to relax and keep positive

• Edited

Kylie, in my perimenopause journey, which I'm still going thru. I have had borderline. Abnormal and normal ECG, as I get chest pains. Left arm pain, sky high anxiety which brings on panic attacks. Doctors have done numerous tests, blood tests, xrays of the heart after borderline ECG . All came back normal.

I know exactly how you feel with this ECG results. It's creating a panic and fear.

Please don't worry. Perimenopause cause all sorts of issues.

• Edited

It's really awful all these symptoms we get and of course we think the worse because they make us feel so rotten. I have had 3 ECG's in the last 12 months and its only the one I had yesterday that came back abnormal. I had an ultrasound on my heart about 4 years and that showed a small hole in my heart but had another ecg a couple of years later and said there was no sign of it so who knows. Thankyou for taking the time to reply

• Edited

Hi Kylie, I had the 48hr holter monitor, it showed short runs of tacycardia(fast heartbeats)...I had been feeling fluttering and a few PVC (certain beats have a timing issue)...the 1st can be from pain &/or anxiety....the 2nd age related, neither one are causing damage, neither are serious, considered benign(doesn't effect functioning) Yes, you can have an abnormal ECG but, even though the cause needs to be discovered, it can be explained & be NOT a chronic problem...Good Luck, hope you can get it figured out and its just stress/anxiety...you should ask if caffeine is an issue, if you use it....BEST WISHES🌈💒🎶♾💞🐾🍀☮💐

• Edited

hi so relieved to read this post..ive had ectopics all my life but couple of years ago was having short runs of svts..had echocardiogram and 24 hr ecg..found a mild mitral valve leak which they said a lot of people have and dont know..so not to worry..im 11 yrs post meno.last period at 42..have been having a few svts recently and i know it is anxiety..because of what is going on right now..ive stopped drinking tea as from today maybe one in morning..thank you ..your message has reassured me again.i have ptsd from losing two of my children when they were young.so my anxiety has been thru roof with this covid 19..menopause defiantly doesnt help although i escaped a majority of symptoms..i get a couple post menopause 💜💛💚♥️💙

• Posted

Dear Chirppy, My Deepest Sympathies for the loss of your babies, I am so deeply sorry...I hope you have received treatment for your PTSD, you really deserve help so you don't suffer alone!!

I wonder if you should have a followup ECG, maybe ask your DR... just to be sure now with menopause the Mitral valve isn't an issue and it actually is just anxiety &/or age...no worries, its probably fine, it cant hurt to ask for peace of mind?! I love tea (iced though) I think it might come in decaf? I tried green tea...sorry but, no self respecting southern girl would call that tea..lol flavoured water? maybe...I really hope you're doing well...BEST WISHES💒🎶♾🍀☮🌈🐾💐💞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.