Abnormal ECG results :(

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi so ive been suffering with skipped heartbeats and palpitations for almost 2 years now had a ecg and blood test done at that time and all came bk normal but had a 7 day Ecg last week and doctor called today and said the results are abnormal that a fast heart rate and eptopics where showing up he has referred me to a cardiologist now but im so scared this means something bad i suffer from bad anxiety so this has only made it worse any one have an idea if i should be really worried about these results being abnormal? TIA x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Naomi,

You don't need to worry as much as you are. A fast heart rate and ectopics are abnormal, but rarely dangerous. I've suffered with all kinds of heart rhythm issues (including ectopics) for the past 3 years, and they have wrecked my quality of life. I had an ablation a few months ago which has eliminated most of the ectopics but worsened my heart's rhythm, although this may be due to coming off the meds... Two main reasons for a high heart rate - lack of fitness and anxiety. It's very difficult to fix this because it's so hard to exercise when you are already conscious of your fast heart rate, and simply entering a gym has triggered panic attacks in me before, it's a vicious cycle.

However, I'm still alive and (relatively) well 3 years later. The psychological impact of this is definitely the worst, as I'm sure you're experiencing right now.

If nothing else, I'm writing this so you know you're not alone, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people experiencing the same thing, awful though it is.

Go and talk to a cardiologist - GPs/local doctors are NOT experienced in this and it will always sound worse coming from them. Peace of mind will only come from a cardiologist, who will have seen thousands of patients with all manner of heart issues, ranging from trivial (which yours will likely be) to life threatening.

You're not dying, but you may be at a crossroads in your life where you 'may' need to start making some changes.

Best of luck Naomi,

Jack

• Posted

Hi Jack I also had an ablation under sedation 10 weeks ago but was not sucessful and have to have it under a general I am worried that it is not going to work when you say it helped your eptopics but not the high heart rate what did they say? and will you be offered another ablation to correct it? My health is also severely compromised and cant live like this the medication does not seem to help much, I am seeing an Electrophysiologist instead of a Cardiologist, which can make a difference!
    • Posted

Hi Ingrid,

Was your ablation for ectopics? If so, I'm surprised you were sedated - mine was done with no sedation or pain relief (very, very uncomfortable 5 hours) because I was told that these drugs can suppress ectopics and reduce the chance of a successful outcome!

Regarding my slightly chaotic heart rate, I've booked a consultation to see the electrophysiologist next week - I had one booked in June after a 72 hr holter later this month, but I went to the gym for the first time since the ablation the other day, and afterwards my heart was varying between 70 and 120 bpm every 6 seconds or so, so decided I need to get some advice on this.

I did have this issue before (fluctuating heart rate), so it's possible it has returned due to cessation of the meds (bisoprolol and flecainide). It's a no win for me as I have asthma also!

I don't know about you (?), but finally getting in touch with an electrophysiologist after 3 years of symptoms has helped a LOT. I've had an ablation and had access to meds which did help somewhat, unlike GPs and even cardiologists who never helped beyond reassuring me.

What's your story, if you don't mind?

I'm only 28 by the way, if it makes you feel better!

Jack

• Posted

Hi Naomi

My 24 hour ECG also showed a lot of ectopic beats, so I saw a cardiologist who tested me again (beats still there) and sent me for an echocardiogram.  My heart felt like it kept skipping and fluttering even more as I was so worried.  The scan, a fortnight ago, showed no physical problems and the cardiologist thinks it's all due to stress as all the other tests show I'm healthy.  It's weird to think that stress can cause this fluttering and leaping, but it clearly can and now I notice when under particularly stressful situations that it gets even more noticeable. So....it is very likely that you are fine as well but, as others have said, that you need to help reduce stress inducers!

• Posted

Hi naomi83105, I hope you dont worry before you have too. I like you have bad anxiety and have been having skips and stuff for 45 years. Still here. I did have to have a pacemaker put in in December becuase of Sick Sinus Syndrome. A heck of alot of people have that and live long long lives I have learned. You may not have anything. I have had abnormal EKG's for a long time. The doctor told me it is becuase we have breasts, also, that the machine cannot diagnose. It picks up hundreds of weird things that the DRs have to interpert. I had a bad EKG a couple of years ago and went for an ECHO and  a Pet scan becuase the EKG said I had had a heart attack ! Nope the EKG was wrong!  All tests came back good and said I have a low risk for any hard heart problems. So, that was great. Now, for skipped beats, I could write a book. I just had a couple a minute ago. I feel every single one and they alarm me. I am a very anxious person too. I try to just say that my heart hiccuped! I get a couple every day and more if I am stressed. The drs say they will not kill you or hurt you at all! They all say that. So, I have to believe them. They are very uncomfortble and sometimes hurt. All normal. Just a " extra beat from a strange place" I have learned so much about them. And as you age they get more frequent ( Yippee) I dont know your age, but I am 65 and still here. I hope to hear back from you how the Cardio dr went. Dont worry too much, wait for the tests you will be bound to get!!! ( they love to do tests) Your friend in Papitations, Mabel1  They can do so many great things for heart problems these days. I am happy about my pacemaker. Keeps my heart from going to slow and passing out, while walking ,driving  ( bad it happens) Take care!!

• Posted

Hi Mabel it was good to read your thread as I am similar to you . I am 63 and have had ectopic beats for 40 years . It is a bit of a chicken and egg situation as I don't know which comes first the anxiety or the ectopic . I also feel everyone and they can last all day . I find them very distressing . I haven't passed out yet but I do feel dizzy at times. All my tests are also negative but that is no help as I still get them despite medication . They are horrible

• Posted

Hi Gail, I am sorry you have them for so long to.Sometimes they really get me down. I had a big one last night.But I also had a big cocktail! I think that caused it. But, when I get those I worry for days. Takes away the quality of life for me. My hubby doesn't get it. He has never felt one he says ( lucky I guess) I have a couple of friends who get them, but it doesn't bother them like me. You would think I would be over the fear and anxiety but nope! I do try, and when I have a few days without them, I feel like, " hey maybe I wont get any more" then I get them again. I guess I will just try to be rational ( for a change) When it is my time , it will be my time! Thanks for the reply!! Mabel ( or Debbie ) Try to hang on!!!

• Posted

I saw a cardiophysiologist and he said people that are prone to ectopic beAts will probably always get them but they tend to come in waves. So I am waiting now fir them to go but know they will always return . It's a miserable life when they are constant 

• Posted

Dear Naomi

Sorry to hear about your concerns.

Of course it is natural to worry about your heart if you feel there are any abnormalities.

I have had irregular heart beat for about 5 years and some on this site a lot longer so it doesn't automatically mean doom and gloom. Mine are accompanied by a slow

heart rate rather than palpitations.

Maybe yours are brought on by any anxieties you may have and if you can relieve some of those it may help.

If when you go to a cardiologist they may ask for tests to look at the structure of your heart and if these come back ok maybe that will help relieve some of your worries.

Good luck for the future

Gap

• Posted

Hi naomi I'm 51 this year and have had issues since I was 20 I've had good times and bad times I also had fast heart rate and eptopics I had my ablation for fast rate which was diagnosed as svt super ventricular tachycardia which was succeful I no longer have the fast rapid beats pls take my advice and don't sit there worrying which will manifest itself into anxiety and or panic attacks as I no this all to we'll I have the eptopics to which are being investigated after recent ecg show them I'm seeing cardiologist yet again but haven't seen one since my ablation 9 years ago I had a very stressful year 2016 lost my big hairy doggie and it hit me hard and low and behold the eptopics got bad again followed by more worry a vicious loop anxiety brings on adrenalin which can make your heart race so pls try to relax I'm living proof 31 years of these anoying eptopics I'm still here yet when there bad the worry returns I often wonder what comes first the eptopics or the anxiety well I'm convinced it's the stress that comes first advoid tea coffee coke chocolate and alcohol these can also stimulate are tick tocks best of luck gal I wish you well for the future daz

• Posted

Heart rates are like taps the more we turn it on the greater the speed and flow of the water in the tap, and the heart.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.