Abnormal ECG - sent home and have to with for a heart scan appt

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last week I went to my doctors as I have been suffering from bad fatigue - up until 4 weeks ago I went to the gym most days and had no issues, i do thought suffer from random pains in my upper body, ranging from an uncomfortable feeling in centre of my chest and random stabbing type pains all over - arm ache - the other night my shoulder was aching like crazy just before bed and no idea why, I also get a sharp pain in upper centre back randomly too, anyway I have the bloods done at the doctors and a routine ecg, the bloods came back ok but the ecg had 'changes' on it - she referred me to the hospital for another ecg and then a tolerance one, the normal one came back with changes and so i couldnt do the tolerance one, she worried me a lot as if im not worried enough already she said the graph looks like someone who was having a heart attack but i didnt appear to be...she then said women can have an ecg that looks like this but its just the way it is  , this didnt really settle me once the words heart attack had been used, I now have to sit and worry and wait for an appt for a heart scan ??? Anyone else had anything like this happen, should they not have kept me in and checked me out properly as the graph showwed that up ??

Thanks

Jo

Apologies if this is in the wrong place 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If the pain is generally sharp and localised its unlikely to be a major heart problem. Could possibly be mitral valve prolapse which can produce sharp pains and is generally harmless but needs to be monitored. Im also experiencing similar symptoms. Ive had multiple blood tests, ECGs, chest xray done and all are clear. The pains can be quite severe and I have them all over my chest but generally just to the left of my sternum Im waiting on the results of an echo and a 48hr tape. Ill post again when I find out results. 

Im sorry I cant be of much help but just thought I'd reach out and let you know Im experiencing similar things to you. Just wondering if you're experiencing and strange headaches or sensations in the head at all as that's something Ive been experiencing. My doctors keep putting all my symptoms down to anxiety but im increasingly sceptical due to the level of physical pain Im experiencing in absence of any real worry or stress.

• Posted

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your message and sorry to hear you are experiencing these worrying pains too, I have some sharp pains and a dull one in the centre sometimes thats just uncomfrotable rather than exact pain, I am glad your tests came back clear and hope your echo does too although it helps to know whats actually causing these things in the end, I dont really get headaches much but have had some mild ones last couple of weeks but that might just be as I am so worried - I wish you well and let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Jo

• Posted

Your doctor obviously wouldn't have sent you home, if  he  had, for instance  seen significant ST segment elevation.  Male or female, doesn't matter, they would keep you for significant elevation.  I, myself had an abnormal ecg show ST segment depression several months back after experiencing severe refractory left wrist pain

that lasted for approximately 45 minutes, then it just ceased.  Women, or even men may experience severe pain in just an arm or a wrist, it's called referred pain,

because it can be a result of ischemia in one of the heart vessels.  Not everyone has the crushing chest pains that can occur.  My paternal grandmother had two MIs just like I've had. They were conronary artery vasospasms, and they can occur in the absense of any  discernable  blockage.  Hypertension can contribute to these, as can stress.  You mentioned that your doctor sent to the hospital for a regular ecg, and a tolerance one.  I 've never heard of a "tolerance" one.  Is that

some kind of challenge, like putting you on a stationary bicycle or a treadmill?

Good luck iwth your scan, try not to worry too much, hearts don't like stress, I know

first hand.

• Posted

Thank you - I have added further info below  ...im still no wiser  but yes the ecg was supposed to be whilst exercising....I had the echo  also whilst cycling 

Hope you are well 

Jo

• Posted

Sorry to hear about that I have heart escape beat that is terrible I visit alot if docs and have 17 ecgs till now during ecg I feel extra beats palpitation but ecg is clear in 17 ecgs I have one ecg in which I think there is pause not to long as my cardiologist didn't discuss with me about that but he say there is gape between heart beat my cardiologist monitor my heart for 24 hours with holter ecg result is clear no pauses of heart also have done echo which is clear after few months I have on and off chest heaviness and my go prescribed me Lexapro for anxiety I currently stop it and eat pasta I have panic attack I go to cardiologist as I have stress to he say me ur fine it's bcoz of stress but I insist for more scans my cardiologist don't have other scan in his clinic I request to refer me to big hospital on 17 I will go to another doc let see don't b stress it's nothing I have seen many times ecg result is not clear but after lot of scan there is no problem may b it's just a mistake by technician my aunty has a heart attack when we bring her to hospital they do ecg for her ecg is normal doc say it's not a heart attack she die after 30 mins try to do some scans and calm down plz what ever it is we can't change it but we have to face it an stay strong I know it's not easy not for me not for u not for any one but as I say we can't change it we need to figure out what the real problem is? I feel scared of death every one is scared but the reality is that we should have to die one day even the doc to when our life is finished we will die and God know that when we will die we will not live one second more then what God written in our disteny....I am scared of other tests what the doc will do more tests but when I think tests is better option I have uncle have 3 major heart attacks but still alive and also he has blockages to he manage it more then 25 years dear calm down

• Posted

Thank you for your reply  and hope you are feeling well just now 

Jo

• Posted

Ok further to my first post ..I have been for a normal echo and  then an echo under exercise ..the second one the cardiologist was present and following it sent me off saying he could not see any risk of heart disease - he also said the ecg I had previously had - showed non specific changes - which means nothing to me really ...but he did not seem too worried,,, so I went back to the doctor last week to see if the results back etc, the first normal echo showed that everything was fine bar trivial valve leakage on 2 valves I think..the doctor told me not to worry as its trivial and he himself has one of these which was discovered during his training.....the second echo results were not yet back....I still feel tired and I still have this awful reoccurring pain deep in the centre of my back.. the doctor told me to wait til after xmas and see how i feel then - I feel like I am getting nowhere fast and have felt ill for 4 months now  sad   I don't if its perimenopause playing tricks with me as I feel thats coming on too  but I cannot get out of my head all this heart stuff  now 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.