Abnormal EEG but no seizures

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi I'm a 40 yeal old male living in Mexico, I've been going to a psychiatrist for a while for some anxiety issues and have been on anxiety medication. A few months ago I went to a new psychiatrist and she had me get an EEG, the results showed that I had an abnormal EEG, I went to see a neurologist about this and he had me get a CT scan (computed tomography) and another EEG, the results of the CT scan ruled out structural damage in the brain but the EEG came back abnormal again, this is what the neurologist wrote: "Abnormal EEG results that are compatible with temporal lobe seizures and focal seizures and denote anxiety". I told the neurologist that I've never had an epileptic seizure and he said that not all epileptic seizures are convulsions, he's had me on oxcarbazepine since. I've done a little bit of reading about epileptic seizures and I've never had anything that resembles ANY type of epileptic seizure, I've read about auras but the anxiety I experience is not exactly sudden and is more tied to my anxiety issues. I'm still seeing my neurologist and every time I see him all he asks me about is my anxiety issues, I have told him that I still experience some panic and he said that panic attacks are basically epileptic seizures or something like that, as a matter of fact, all I experience when I'm anxious is feelings of worry or panic, my hands start sweating a little or I feel like they're burning, but no heart racing or any other physical symptom.

Could the EEG be picking up anxiety or anxiety medication? Should I even trust my neurologist?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.