Abnormal EKG, or inaccurate?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, so the past few weeks have been very stressful. Friday I decided to get a physical, and everything from BP to Ox, cholesterol, glucose, sounds came out good. Then they gave me an EKG, at first the nodes on the right kept falling off so the tech had to keep putting them back.

When the doctor first came in she said it looked fine, and then I started panicking and breathing heavily and shaking (claustrophobic). At the end she said my EKG was abnormal, the paper said "incomplete right bundle branch block". I asked her if me breathing heavily and shaking had any effect on it, and she couldn't answer.

So I'm sitting here wondering if its an issue or not. Im 30 years old, I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't drink sodas, and I rarely eat red meat. My family history is good, very healthy (though all of us have anxiety, panic a lot). I had an EKG done 2 years ago that was normal, and since then ive lost a lot of weight and I exercise more. Do you think the EKG could have been inaccurate?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hmm. I don't think it's anything to worry about, friend. You're still young and seem to be very healthy. But I always recommend that people ease their minds by getting checked out, so maybe another EKG would be good? It couldn't hurt. But if you're still concerned after that, make an appointment with a cardiologist. That way you'll be 100% sure and won't have to worry about it as much. Again, this is just for your own peace of mind. I believe that you are fine and healthy, but since I also have health anxiety, I know that you might not believe that until you see it for sure. In the meantime please try not to worry too much. smile 

Peace 

• Posted

Sometimes ecgs can be inaccurate. In your case.. I think the right bundle branch block couldve happened from hyperventilation. But im not sure because im not a doctor sad i recommend getting another ecg to be on the safe side. Pretty sure that one was inaccurate because all your other ones came out in normal sinus rhythm. But i would see a cardiologist to make sure if you're still concerned. Right bundle branch block could be present in healthy hearts and is not life-threatening. RBBB is only life-threatening when there is an underlying disease. Again.. If you are still concerned.. See a cardio and theyll run tests to rule out any heart disease. Once thats ruled out.. Then there is no need to worry.

• Posted

Why didnt they redo it? Sounds like it was brokn.
  • Posted

I think you started freaking out and almost if not had a panic attack. That would throw it off. If you have a family history of anxiety,I'm sure you are on a antidepressant, RIGHT?? I have anxiety,panic attacks and I am claustrophobic also, and yes I have been on meds for years and doing great. I don't think there's a med for claustrophobia,although I wish there were. You live a very healthy life, and  I wish you the best.

• Posted

Yes, I have to agree with everyone else, under the conditions you describe I would have serious doubts about the accuracy. I'm also curious about who did the report, some modern machines do a basic problem identification but these are innaccurate and always over predict problems. A single EKG in this case doesn't mean much and would need repeating, if your Dr was still concerned then she should recommend a cardiology assessment. It doesn't seem you have any particular risk factors, but I know a lot of anxiety comes from the uncertainty. Its worth knowing that even if this is confirmed a person with your background would be unlikely to need treatment. The question is, how are they following this up, they shouldn't just leave you worrying.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hey I had another EKG today and this one came back sinus tachycardia (first one was bradycardia), but no mention of incomplete right bundle branch block. It did say "128 premature QRS transition in right precordials, positional variance". Then "282 QRS within the normal limits. The doctor said it was probably due to my anxiety. No idea what all those wordings/numbers mean though. 

• Posted

Sinus tachycardia is a normal heart rythmn with an elevated heart rate x that is all. Anyways those numbers dont sound alarming. Anxiety can definitely cause s tach ! Just listen to your docs.

On an ecg... There is a type of alphabet. PQRST and sometimes u waves... Are what measure the hearts electrical system. The QRS complex is when the electrical signal travels down the bundle of his ( i think... Still learning smile ) and its that big pointy wave you see on an ecg. Try to talk to you doctor about the ecg.. And they could probably explain it to you!

• Posted

So no referral to cardiologist to follow up? Im not that comfortable with that. Anxiety or not i would think a cardiologist should deciede if it should be dismiised as "anxiety" Or not. If that was a cardio doc then all is well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.