Abnormal heart beat at night

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please help! For the past few months, every single night, I have constant moments where my heart races, for hours. I feel like it has been getting worse. I then decided to start taking Melatonin to help me sleep, but it barely works anymore. When I noticed it stopped working, I bought some Zzzquil and used it as well. I then decided to use both Melatonin and Zzzquil, and for awhile they both helped me sleep with no problem other than occasional drowsiness. Now they barely work anymore. If I don’t use Melatonim and Zzzquil, I’ve noticed when I’m falling asleep I have a hypnotic jerk. It feels like my heart slows down to a normal pace as I’m going to sleep, but shoots back up when I’m about to actually fall asleep. If I didn’t have these medicines, it would happen all night for hours. Please help!!! I can not find a solution online and have not seen a doctor. I am 18 years old. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you have what I  had from time to time. It sounds like a tachycardia, I'd " google" that and see if it sounds familiar. I had one last night and stopped it by dipping my face in a cold bowl of water. There are other ways to stop them too. Check and see if you're getting enough electrolytes? Magnesium, potassium, etc. 

Zzzquil is garbage and may make things worse. If you haven't already I'd see your GP asap. 

• Posted

Hi Alyssas

I have tachycardia of a night time. I too get out of bed to get my body cold. I walk on a cold floor and this seems to calm it down. Perhaps try a potassium/magnesium supplement as a shortage of these can have this effect along with dehydration. I also find that by sleeping with my pillows propped up somewhat, also helps to prevent it occurring. I find that curling up on my left hand side (my favourite sleeping position) also causes it to happen.

A medication I have as a last resort, is bisoporol which is a form of beta blocker. Taken at bed time stops the problem. I use it as a 'pocket' medication i.e. as and when needed rather than a constant. I take 1.25mgs which I find is enough to help me.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

My heart also raises when I am in a deep sleep. It will beat fast for a few minutes and then it slows down. I take medication now. I am not sure if medication is making things any better. Talk to your doctor and see if your doctor can prescribe anything for you. Maybe your doctors can send you for some tests. I went for many ecg but nothing was found. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.