Abnormal Liver Function Test

Posted , 4 users are following.

I called my GP today to check if my various bloodt test results were back. She told me they all say "no further action required" except the liver function one and so now I am in major panic!! She tried to reassure me that there was no "urgent" note against me and in fact they hadn't even contacted me about the results (I had the test a week ago) until I contacted them to see if they were back. She suggested that if it was bad they would have made me an appointment straight away. Does anybody have experience of this? I have been diagnosed with health anxiety which isn't helping the situation. Could it just be something simple? Would I know about it if I had something seriously wrong?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Phone her back and ask her which ones for example, GGT, were outside the normal range and what were the readings. Have pen and paper before you call, write down the readings and post them here.
    • Posted

I actually already have an appointment with my GP tomorrow which I made a while ago to discuss my anxiety medication but I assume we will also discuss this now also. I know it's not a long time to wait but for somebody with anxiety it is a worry! Would you suggest it's not serious if they haven't called to tell me yet or make an appointment? It is just coinsidence that I am already going tomorrow.

• Posted

As you suffer from anxiety, there is no point in thinking it over, because you can't do anything about it, except worry and you will find out tomorrow.

Just ask for a copy of the blood tests, they are your tests and they have to provide you a copy upon request. I have all copies of my tests, and they will be far more extensive than yours, because I do have problems.

Ask her to talk you through which one/s were out of range. As you normally only get 10 minutes, ask to discuss this first, before your anxiety. When you have the results, come back with what she said and the out of range results/

• Posted

LFTs can be all over everywhere for no apparent reason and they mean nothing worrying I promise, anything bad would have also shown up in your other blood tests, I had a year of tests, literarily loads and eventually they just said its nothing and now its gone back to normal, nuts, have you had a cold or any form of infection in the last couple of month's

• Posted

'anything bad would have also shown up in your other blood tests'

That is factually incorrect.

• Posted

Thank you. Yes I had a bad viral infection at the end of February and was signed off sick from work. I've also just started taking medication for anxiety and have been taking a lot of ibruprofen and paracetamol for a bad back so not sure if that would impact?

• Posted

Actually its not, if anything major was going on with the liver, as in cancer it would have shown in her blood count and her inflammatory markers would be raised.

• Posted

Yes it would effect your results and also medication can also raise LFT results especially ibuprofen, I was told by herpetologist to cease taking them.

I would not worry honestly, my results were way high and it was OK in the end, I'm sure that if your results were looking serious you would have been called in.

Also even a tiny rise would come up as abnormal

• Posted

You said, ''anything bad would have also shown up in your other blood tests'.

I have cirrhosis (ALD) Child-Pugh A. My blood tests (and I have many, about 24) show up, all with in range, because I don't drink any more. Anyone just looking at the blood tests in isolation would say I was fine, which is clearly not the case.

• Posted

I actually said cancer as that was the thing that mainly worried me, my FIL died of liver cancer 2015 which had progressed from cirossis.

As for other diseases of the liver I'm sure that they don't all show in normal blood test as you say.

• Posted

'As for other diseases of the liver I'm sure that they don't all show in normal blood test as you say.'

I never said that, nor did you until just now. What you did say is this:

'anything bad would have also shown up in your other blood tests'

And that is blatantly not true.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.