Abnormal Pap smear

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok I just had a abnormal pap, this makes the 4th year I have had one. The first time I had one my gynecologist taken a biopsy on me and told me that it wasn’t enough cells for him to  them to burn off. Also during the Pap he noticed a fibroid tumor and later done a ultrasound. So Thursday I have a appointment and I want to ask him could he burned the cells or remove my cervix all together so I wouldn’t have anymore problems. Do you think he can remove it or burn the cells even if there is a small amount of the?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Are you HPV+? If not, you're wasting your time with pap testing, biopsies etc.

If you're HPV- then you wouldn't even be offered a Pap test under an evidence based program. Australia now has a HPV primary testing program, but it's an excessive program, it starts too early and tests too often.

Pap testing is unreliable and doesn't help most women but carries the risk of a false positive and over-treatment, that can mean damage to the cervix - cervical incompetence or cervical stenosis - that can mean miscarriages, the need for c-sections, cervical cerclage, premature babies etc.

I feel sorry for the poor cervix, so much damage to screen for a cancer that was always rare and in natural decline, even before screening was introduced.

The best program in the world IMO is the Dutch program, they offer 5 HPV tests or HPV self-testing at ages 30,35,40,50 and 60 and only the roughly 5% of women aged 30 to 60 who test HPV+ are offered a 5 yearly Pap test - this saves more lives but also, takes most women out of pap testing and harms way. HPV- and no longer sexually active or confidently monogamous, you might choose to forget any further testing.

So find out your status before making any decisions - removing your cervix sounds drastic - if you're HPV+ and aged 30 to 60 then you could get a second opinion, probably wait and re-test if it's only mild dysplasia (CIN1) or possibly treatment for CIN 2 or 3.

All the best

• Posted

Thanks aliz52 no I didn't have hpv when they last checked me 4 years ago but I have been getting pap smear done everything year after that, and they says every year that it was abnormal, slightly abnormal and one year I had one to be normal. I'm just so tired of getting an abnormal result cause it's make me scared but this Thursday I have a appointment and I will ask him to burn them off, he claims he couldn't the last time because it wasn't enough cells

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.