Abnormal periods before diagnosed with hypothyroidism

Posted , 2 users are following.

So ever since I first started my period when I was 11 I’ve had abnormal periods. I rarely get them probably 5-6 times a year. I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago and started levothyroxine. I’ve alwyas tried telling my doctor that my periods have always been off and since I’ve been diagnosed with thyroid problems all doctors I’ve been to seem to blame it on that. Now I’ve been off of levothyroxine for about a year (I know that’s terrible) and all of a sudden for the past two months I’ve been getting periods about 14-18 days long when I would get 5-6 periods a year for like 4 days if I was lucky. I’ve tried telling my doctor again but I just get the same answer that’s it’s my thyroid problems. What concerns me the most is I’ve been trying to have a baby for the past year and a half and I haven’t been able to. Oh and even when my thyroid was under control the first year I had been diagnosed my periods were still a no show. So now I’m not sure what to think because no matter what doctor I go to they don’t bother to send me for an ultrasound to see if everything looks ok with my uterus or anything. They just look at my file and see that I have hypothyroidism and they figure that’s the reason why. What should I do now? I know I’ll keep visiting my doctor and I started taking levothyroxine again. But the abnormal periods will just stay irregular or what can I expect? Any advice?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you can afford it go to a private gynaecologist or endocrinologist. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.