Abnormal Pituitary Gland secreting too much Prolactin. What does this mean?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My MRI that I got done last Thursday came back with an abnormal shaped pituitary gland so they had me come back Friday for more images. Monday my doctors report said it was abnormal and secreting too much Prolactin. So I have a endocronologist to see more about my appointment but all I can think of is a pituitary tumor. Does it sound like one? Any idea what else it could be?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

this sounds exactly how they found my prolactinoma 27 years ago i take meds and it is under control. i will take it the rest of my life as long as it keeps my prolactin levels down which it does i hope yours is any easy fix too.

• Posted

Thank you! Seems easy enough to take care of. Hopefully they will be able ti tell me when i go on my birthday next month .

• Posted

1. Most important of all is that, if it is a pituitary tumour, it almost certainly is not malignant (cancerous). You have a better chance of winning the lottery with a ticket you found in the street.
    2. Second, although it is in your skull, it is not in your brain. You don't have a brain tumour.
    3. As Maureen says, hyperprolactin is usually treated by a drug, you probably won't need an operation. If you do (need one) it is relatively minor nowadays, they go right up your nose so no scars and it takes just a few days to recover.

You might want to contact your local Pituitary patients society where you will get lots of advice, information and support. In the UK and Ireland, it is pituitary.org.uk.

Best wishes!

• Posted

Thanks so much Roddy. My MRI report came back with two spots that said are possible pituitary adenomas. So we'll just see what the doctor says next month before I think anything else of it. (Well before I try not to think anything else of it lol). Your facts have gave me great comfort!

• Posted

"two spots that ... are possible pituitary adenomas": I think it very very unlikely that an op will be suggested in this case. Relax already!

• Posted

It sounds like it. I have a pitituary tumor that secretes too much prolactin. I had surgergy rhat removed about 90% of it but they left part of it that was on the stlak of my pitituary gland. I am back on Cabergoline to try to keep the prolactin levels down. It had been working but this last appointment to my endocronologist showed my prolactin levels increased.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.