Abnormal test results - Worried

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I recently attended my GP as I had been having constipation for a month or so which was unusual for me. I started taking fiber supplements to see if that would help and it did. However I thought I would mention it to my GP just to be safe.

GP didn't think there was any issue but decided to run some routine blood testsand stool sample.

2 weeks later I got a call from my GP surgery to say that all my results including stool sample came back normal but I would need to have my Full Blood Count repeated as I had slightly raised lymphocytes. GP assured me nothing to worry about and likely just a result of a slight viral infection that I might not even have been aware of.

I had this test repeated on the 8th of April and today found out that unfortunately my result is still abnormal and I will have to go in and see a doctor.

I know you should stay away from Dr Google but every article about raised lymphocytes mentions CLL or some kind of blood cancer and I am now very worried. I am a very anxious person who worries anyway and this is not good for me. I always imagine the worst case scenario and now my results have been abnormal on two seperate occasions I am almost convinced I have cancer.

Another thing fueling the worry is that I have had pain under my left armpit on and off for over 2 years. Nothing severe and it might bother me for a day or two and then go away for a few months. Just worried as there are lymph nodes in the armpit. I did attend my GP about this a couple of times when it first started but they did not seem concerned. Its not really a pain its more of a slight tight feeling but am worried.

Just really looking for some advice or reassurance, what else could be a cause of raised lymphocytes that is not cancer? I am seeing my GP on thursday.

Thank You.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am a 26 year old otherwise healthy male

• Posted

I thought I would post an update even though nobody has replied to the post.

I attended my GP today and was reassured with what I heard.

I found out that my lymphocyte count was 3.8 and had not risen between the first and second test.

The Doctor told me that this time a year or so ago 3.8 would have been a normal result as they classed anything over 4 as raised but guidelines were changed so that now anything over 3 is classed as raised?

He reassured me all my other results were perfect but he did take more blood to be looked at in more detail just really for reassurance for me.

I am very relieved although I probably wont be able to stop thinking about it until I know that these more detailed tests are normal, only thing worrying me is that 3.8 is quite close to 4 but I need to try and not let my thoughts get the better of me.

Did anyone here know about guideline changes that makes anything above 3 classed as raised?

Thanks

• Posted

HI!

I have been having high lymphocytes for almost 2 years. They are varying from 3.8-5.3. I also have 3-4 small lymph nodes . I HAD 3 Ultrasounds and doctors said my lymph nodes look fine. I am feeling good . Doctors said it's fine. I try not to worry even though I DO sometimes.

Most serious diseases related to high lymphocytes occurs in older people.

I am 21, you are 26. We are young.

STOP searching on GOOGLE!

• Posted

Hi

Thought I would post an update.

I attended my GP yesterday and everything was fine. All blood results normal and my lymphocyte count had actually decreased from 3.8 to 3.0 which is back to normal limits.

I am very relieved and think I will make an appointment to discuss my health anxiety which is obviously a problem.

• Posted

HI!

Great news! I'm happy for you!

You should definitely make an appointment and discuss your health anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.