abnormal thyroid results

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all hope you're well 😃

I got my thyroid results back from Thriva , my Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) Result was 'abnormal' at 7.97 mIU/L and my Free thyroxine (FT4) Result was 'low' at 10.2pmol/L.

I can't get an appointment with my GP until next week so is anyone able to shed some light on what those numbers actually mean? I have googled the treatment for an under active thyroid and I would rather try everything under the sun than take Levothyroxine at all as I hate medication

Is this something that can be reversed or treated naturally? I am assuming this has happened recently within the last year because I get my thyroids checked at least once a year, the last time being January 2019 and it came back normal

A bit of back story of my health - I'm 22, female, this last year or so I haven't be taking care of my health as I suffer greatly with anxiety and binge eating however the last 2 months I have managed to lose 20lbs and i would say i'm about 65lbs away from being a 'healthy' weight. Before the last 2 months though I wasn't working out at all and eating the worst I ever have as I was binging multiple times a week and got to the heaviest weight I have ever been and I was gaining weight soooo quickly (thankfully I am out of that now and I have been steadily losing 1-2lbs per week)

In terms of how I feel physically, I feel as though I wake up tired and am tired and groggy all day EVERY day, I am able to do my everyday tasks but I do find it very difficult to concentrate on something for more than 10 minutes at a time, everything takes a lot of effort and I feel like I need to nap all the time, every few weeks I feel run down for absolutely no reason such as feeling a bit achey, weak, headache, and sore throats - this lasts 1-2 days then I'm back to normal however I have suffered with reoccurring sore throats since I was a child. on top of my anxiety I also have days and weeks where I feel so low I can barely get out of bed and I cry hysterically for no reason. i have extremely irregular periods but I got diagnosed with PCOS in January 2019 after having irregular periods for 3 years so I think that is irrelavant to my thyroids. Thriva has also confirmed that I am vitamin D deficient, low in B12 and deficient in folate

Are these typical symptoms of an underactive thyroid and have my other health issues caused it?

Most importantly - has anyone successfully treated an underactive thyroid without Levothyroxine or is it completely impossible / am I too late?

I am sure my weight and unhealthy lifestyle this last year has contributed to this but I'm trying really hard to take care of my health now which is why i did the test in the first place

thanks in advance 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I tried an herbalist and different things to "fix" my thyroid or should I say get the numbers into the normal range in the blood tests. I never experienced symptoms that my thyroid wasn't working but yearly blood tests showed a steady rise in the TSH number and steady decline in the T3-T4 numbers. I was put on Levothyroxine (lowest dose) and after 2 months had another blood test and the numbers are now all in the normal range. I don't feel any different now than before, but the doctor is happy the numbers are normal. One of my daughter in laws has taken Levothyroxine for years (she had to have her thyroid removed about 13 years ago - so she had no choice). She has 2 beautiful healthy children and was able to nurse them all the while taking Levothyroxine - it seems to be a "safe" medication (I don't believe any medication is really safe).If you try the non medication approach and find something that works, I'd love to know. I have an aversion to taking medication - this is the only medication I take and I hate that I need to take it.

• Posted

I have hypothyroidism I take levothyroxine and I hate it. When I take it I feel like I am being poisoned. I love to also find something natural to take, when I take the thyroid pill I have bad chest pain, heart palpitations, and like my legs cant stay still ot is like all the nerves in my body is beimg shocked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.