Abnormality in my xray

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have gotten my knee xrayed and was told that they saw an abnormality but they won't tell me what it is until my appointment. Attached is the picture I took with my cell phone of the film I have. Any ideas what it could be? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Not sure what we are looking at, apart from wear, tear and most probably bone on bone. The x-ray guys cannot tell you what they see. Do not worry.
    • Posted

That is a bit of a relief. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at either. I've had a lot of issues with this knee in the past and the unexplained pain is definitely not helping. 
  • Posted

Normally when you go for an x ray you then go back straight away to the department that sent you for the x ray and get the results.

What is the point of having an x ray if they are not then going to tell you the results?

• Posted

They claim that it is "their policy" that I can't see or hear my results until my next appointment.  This is the first time I've ever been to this doctor so I am not entirely sure how this works. She didn't explain herself entirely thoroughly. 
    • Posted

Some doctors send you for an x-ray/MRI on one day, then make another appointment for another day to talk, saves the waiting or queue jumping, a real pain.  The way round that these days is digital, you have the x-ray and its sent straight to doctor/consultant via internal network.  Sometimes x-rays are in one hospital and the doctor in another. No network!!! 
  • Posted

What was the reason for the xray and have you had a knee replacement?
    • Posted

The reason for the xray was unexplained pain and X-ray was the first step.  No replacement yet but I have been told in the past that I may need one when I get older. 
  • Posted

Boy i wished my knee looked like that.

It seems you have an unusual amount of space ( which should be good...no?)

between your joint.

A knee that requires a TKR wouldn't have all that "black space" (cartilage) between the joint...mine shows NO BLACK...its bone on bone...

Im no doctor...only they could say...this is just a laymans opinion.

Frankly I'm jealous...wish mine looked like that!

• Posted

I am not an expert on x-rays, but what I see is nice space between the joint. Before my tkr there was no space at all.

If the x-ray tech told you there was an abnormality, that person should not continue with that job. Only a physician should tell you the results of that.

Please try to relax and not worry until your appointment.

Take care.

• Posted

As has been said, the cartilage gap looks big and healthy.

Whether there are osteophytes it isn't that clear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.