Aborted colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had to have a colonoscopy stopped due to extreme pain? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy twicw without issues, i found drinking the gallon of solution the day before the worst part as i got sick of it. Found the proceedure not especially uncomfortable and watched the screen with interest. Two small polyps were found and removed instantly. Was given injection for pain before procedure began, Doctor was excellent throughout and expalined everything as we went along.

• Posted

I never heard of anyone being awake during them.
    • Posted

It's standard practice in the UK for patients to be awake during these procedures with a local anaesthetic and gas/air if required.

• Posted

You need to be awake so that the normal peristalsis movement in the bowel can be seen and aids the proceedure. You are given gas and air as well and believe me it is nothing at all compared with Labour. My Consultant was so gentle, took his time and explained as we went along. I am a former nurse so maybe that helped as i knew exactly what would happen. I find endoscopies far worse and terrifying as i came round quickly during the procedure.
  • Posted

Oh okay, glad I'm in Texas then, cause I'm a big coward & I wouldn't want to be awake. 

• Posted

I can honestly say giving birth was less painful.  This was horrendous 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.