About 10 weeks off Mirtazapine. Experiencing anxiety and insomnia.

Posted , 6 users are following.

As the topic says I experience broken sleep and anxiety for the last 2-3 weeks.

This is scarily familiar to reasons why I went on Mirtazapine in the first place.

I was on 7.5mg for 2 years, except a failed discontinuation which lasted 3 months a half a year ago.

Jumped off from 3.75 which I took every other day in the end.

Could this still be withdrawal or have the original symptoms come back to bite me?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeff,

I took them for 2 years and have now been off for +- 40 days, so a bit less than you. I only took them to improve my sleep.

Right now, I am sleeping more or less OK (waking up a bit earlier, but still OK). However, I have IBS symptoms I did not have before taking the medication. I did have some IBS before, but the symptoms seem worse now, so I suspect it is still linked to withdrawal. I also read about other people having WD symptoms after 2 months, so I guess it is possible that is it still linked to withdrawal.

Are the symptoms you have now worse than before taking the medication ?

• Posted

No, It's hard to remember really.

I would guess about the same, but I have my better moments though.

• Posted

I withdrew a lot slower but end result is my sleep is now back to normal. very poor. It seems to me you either improve your sleep and become a Zombie or live with a bad sleep pattern. I cannot understand why Doctors think that Mirtazapine is any good
  • Posted

I would think after 10 weeks off Mirt your insomnia would stabilize and you would resume a more "normal" sleep pattern.  I was taking 7.5 mg of Mirt myself and tapered down to 1.875 before discontinuing.  I experienced insomnia.  I took a benzo at night, which helped.  Now I am on Ambien (5 mg), which has helped me quite a bit.  You may want to consider another sleep aid until your body adjusts to being Mirtazapine-free.  I like Ambien because I don't have any grogginess in the morning whatsoever. 

• Posted

That's addictive stuff you're taking there.

Staying clear of those.

Trying with some hydroxyzine. If this doesn't do the job I'll get back on Mirtazapine.

• Posted

how long have you been off mirtazapine?
    • Posted

Probably 2 months at this point.  Happy to be off this nasty drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.