About hla b27

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can any one help me out with the difference in between HLA B27 positive and HLA B27 negative

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rajiv,

?   HLA-B27 is an antigen found in the blood that is one of the indicators used to diagnose AS.  HLA-B27 correlates with AS which means that people with AS tend to be HLA-B27 positive.  It is not diagnostic by itself since a percentage of people in the general public are HLA-B27 positive and they do not have AS.  However, a much larger percentage of AS  sufferers are HLA-B27 positive so it is one of the things that is checked when someone is being examined for AS.  It is claimed that you can also be HLA-B27 negative and have AS but I'm not 100% sure about that one. 

• Posted

Negative As is what I have.  It's harder to diagnose. Because a blood test shows no abnormal inflammatory factors like,  the RA factor being negative, and no inflammation is apparent (swollen knuckles, red puffy ankles; things like that) does that help?

• Posted

Oh right!  What Peter said.... people can be HLA-B27 negative and still b diagnosed with AS.  Nowadays a clinical evaluation is the diagnostic standard for diagnosis because the blood result vary too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.