About pain meds

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am taking oxycidone .i really font want to but it seems its the only thing that is helping my pain.my doctor doesnt want me to take it anymore which is fine with me usually aleve doe the trick for me buf not now.can anybody give me sone advice as to what i could take the paon is orettu intense as you know nightime is the worst and pt is bad to any advice😋😋

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I take Ibuprofen 800mg in AM, and PM before bed! Then around 1pm I take Tylenol ! This seems to work , but Sometimes if my thigh muscle pain is to severe I will take one oxycodone, I’m 6 weeks post opt! Aleve did nothing. For me! Hope this helps!
    • Posted

I have ibuprphen 200 mg should i take 4- 200mg to make 800
    • Posted

Just had this very conversation with my doctor yesterday. He said I could take up to 3 200mg ibuprofen every 6 hours but not to exceed 2400 mg per 24 hour period. My surgeon only gave me a small prescription for hyrocodone after the surgery (120 tabs) and will not prescribe anymore. As you might guess they were gone in the first 3 to 4 weeks. The ibuprofen will take a little of the edge off the pain but does not help like the opiods do, but it's better than nothing.

My biggest problem comes at night. Without the pain meds still cannot sleep even after 7 weeks.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

I have the same problem at night oxy helps that pain so at night i will take oxy during the day ill take ibuprofen i pnly have 5 oxy left i will cut them i. Half for nighttime.my doctor will not give me anymore .i dont think he understands how bad the pain gets its not that im addicted to the pain meds those are the only things that help.
    • Posted

I'm not sure if my surgeon understands the pain either. I think the big deal at least here in the states is the opiod crisis now. Think uncle Sam and all his brothers are all in the doctors business these days and they are scared of being accused of improper handling of a controlled substance. So once again the good Ole government is causing pain for those that truly need help.

• Posted

Yup i believe that to be true to .its really kinda sinful cause pain after a lnee replacement is very intense.i was the person who said before my knee replacement ......nooo ill take aleve ...well let me tell you ive changed my mind aleve does not cut it and drs are more cocerned about you getting addicted rather then controlling this extreme pain which they have no idea about.
    • Posted

It’s unbelievable you got 120 oxycodone! I got script for 27 total- no refills and the pain was really bad— the protocol was  to be on tramadol(27) of those too— then nothing!! I did as they said and tramadol was of no help at all. I called the office  two different times and requested an extension on  oxycodone but they refused. All I did was cry,,sad I went to see my PC Dr and he had sympathy and ordered a muscle relaxant along with short term prednisone to help get me over the hump( this was at 4 1/2 weeks out— just a few days ago. Only on day 2 of those meds and I notice some benefit I am at 97 degrees flexion  but it is excruciating,!! My extension has a long wat to go—negative 7 with much effort. Also I have a significant outward pronation of left( operative leg) so it is causing left hip and some back pain.

My main issue is not being able to sit at a table or on couch for more than 5 minutes without having to change positions due to the pain in knee and behind knee— anyone having trouble with painful sitting with legs on floor??

• Posted

Yes i do have pain sitting .and i only got 30 pills to and i cant get anymore .i wzs on that tramadol to for a bit but it didnt help at all .unfirtunatly doctors dont understand the pain its pretty sad .so we have to trooper through it i guess sad situation wen yoh cant even depend on your dr fir help isnt it .👎😡

• Posted

Wow, that's not even a weeks worth! I still have to have my left knee done which will be around August of this year. I plan on using the same surgeon as he does extremely good work as he should because he only does knees. But I plan on having a better plan for pain meds the next time around. There is no since living in pain when something is available to alleviate it.

• Posted

Please don’t use Alleve! I used to use it for my back problems to play golf, and now I have 3rd stage kidney disease from it. I used Tylenol extra strength for my total knee replacement. Oxy sent me to another planet !!!! I am in my 3rd month , my leg is straight but only bends 94 degrees. I am working on that now trying to avoid MUA. I am walking just fine, just a bit hard getting in and out of the car. Good luck to all of you as you go forward!!
    • Posted

I heard that about Aleve! But also if not taken as prescribed Ibuprofen and Tylenol can do the same! 
  • Posted

The intermediate dug between the heavy duty opioids and plain ibuprofen (NSAIDS) is Tramadol.  Ask the doc to prescribe it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.