About self harm

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey,

i suffer from mental health and i self harm. i have been told one of my self harm has caused a full thickness burn and nerve damage what does this mean? is a full thickness burn 3rd degree?

i cant even feel any pain or anything. the duty doctor today used a needle to see if i could feel it but i couldnt.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly.

If you have done something to yourself through self harm your actions will no doubt have an effect on your body and your state of mind.

Self harm is not the way forward please try and stop find an other way to release your pain and anguish, phone lines are available free in the u.k. or you could write your story on here, because it is all confidential and we all understand our own feelings about self harm.

Keep writing Holly let it all out.

God bless

John

• Posted

HI,

i have used self harm for a long time now since i was 15 im 24 now.

i was abused as a child, grew up with parents who were violent towards each other, drank so much, bullied, my friend died and that was my fault, i have flashbacks, voices, parioand thoughts

• Posted

Hello Holly. Thank you for opening up to me, it is hard to speak of our past but letting out bits at a time will do you the world of good.

If you wish you can tell me anything you want or ask questions I'll do the best i can, I understand even although I'm male.

My sister Anne had a troubled child hood and by the age of thirteen she was on a downward spiral.

Her next thirty years was up and down like a yo yo, her speaking about herself never happened and so she died, so i know of similar feelings and what self harm can do, not just to the person but also to those who are left behind struggling with their own thoughts of how i never saw the signs or i should have done more ect.

Please don't bottle it up.

God bless

John

• Posted

I agree with John that self harm isn't the way forward. If you carry on doing this then there is every chance you are going to permanently damage yourself in a way that can't be fixed. I know of one woman who cut until one day she cut a little too much and half the flesh of her arm came away. Self harming isn't sustainable so please seek help.

Do you know what you are punishing yourself for? Do you know what feelings you are trying to escape from? x

• Posted

i have used self harm as a way to cope and deal with things for such a long time now.

with the 3rd degree burn they have said i wont get the feeling back, i go back monday for nurse to re dress it snd see duty doctor. ?

burn only happened last week

ive got mental health illnesses - depression, anorexia, BPD

j was abused and things so this is partly where it comes from.

not all of it

• Posted

You need to find other ways to cope and deal with painful feeling and emotions from the past other than self harm. Like I said this isn't sustainable over the long term as you are starting to find out now.

Therapy and meds seems the way to go. x

• Posted

A full thickness burn is the same as a 3rd degree burn, it means that all layers of the skin are affected and the nerves to that part of the skin have been damaged, which is why it's gone numb. You really do need to tackle your self-harm problem if you are causing that sort of damage to yourself. Can your regular doctor suggest how you can find help? Are you seeing a psychiatrist, what does he recommend?

• Posted

i thought it meant 3rd degree burn but was not sure.

have i caused serious damage? is what i have done to the extent to 3rd degree burn and nerve damage serious self harm?

i am under my local adult mental health team and see my GP every 2 weeks- i saw my support worker on friday ans told him how bad the burn was but he didnt say much- im seeing my nurse this coming friday do he will have something to say about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.