About to go cold Turkey.

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've had a codeine addiction for the past ten years. Was off them for 9 months last year then was a little stressed at work took one and three months later I'm still on them. But.... now in Australia they have made them prescription only so I have been Dr shopping. I have been visiting up to four different doctors each week, travelling far and wide. I'm sick of doing it, it's controlling my whole life. I'm taking days off work. I need to stop!! I've just taken my last 12 tablets and am going cold Turkey. I know what is ahead of me and I just hope I don't give in to the voices in my head...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Amanda, ask yourself 'do I want my life to be defined by little white tablets?' This wonderful, beautiful world which we are only on for a limited time, shrouded by the pointless stupor of codeine. Discuss with your doctor if he thinks valium may relax you at key withdrawal times. It has worked for me. But of course valium is addictive too, so your doc may just put you on it for a short time or disagree entirely. I am not a medical professional. They are there to help!

• Posted

Amanda, It's very do-able. I'm on day 89 of abstinence and my quality of life has improved so much. It's hard at first but the plus factors come in quite quickly: get rid of that awful 'slave to the pills' feeling, start to get self esteem, don't have the wretched journeys or encounters with skeptical doctors and pharmacy assistants, no more fear of running out, save money, have more energy. I took magnesium tablets to help with the restless legs and drink either hot milk or honey and lemon at night to help with sleeping. Make a spread sheet to chart your progress. Stick with it, you won't regret it. Giving up these obnoxious little pills will be one of the best things you'll ever do!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.