About to go in for surgery tomorrow

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm off for a full Hysterectomy tomorrow and worried about it, can anyone give me any tips?

How long will I be in hospital for?

Will I go straight into Menopause?

How will I feel after the op?

Any advice would help.

thanks 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm on day 8 today I was kept in 2 days fitted with catheter at first then once removed they get you up and moving around I wasn't expecting what I got lol make sure you drink plenty and eat light

trapped wind and constipation because of op and pain killers plenty of rest and sleep if your body tells you to

Baggy pj's or pants I have lived in my pj's all week stomach has started to go down and I'm not as sore today I have staples so hopefully will feel better after they out ( Sunday ) take plenty magazines hope all goes well

• Posted

You don't say how old you are, but most cases is yes, you do get plunged into surgically induced menopause. It's effects vary from person to person, just the same as menopause does anyway. Some feel it already in recovery room. Keep taking plenty of walks around the house when you get home, to help with trapped gas and to just keep everything moving. Take pain meds when they are due by the clock, not by how you feel. Write down the times as you will be foggy. Most are only in hospital couple nights these days. All the best. 

• Posted

Hi

?I was only in the hospital 1 day, I had some discomfort the first 4-6 days but never had any pain.  If there is any advice that anyone can give it is take things slow, do not rush into doing anything and when help is offered, take it.  My husband and Mom were there to help me with everything.

I was told I would go into what is called a surgical menopause, but as of today 5 weeks after surgery I have no signs of anything, no crying, no depression, no hot flashes, nothing, so am I that rare one that wont have it I don't know.

Trust me you are going to be ok!!!!

Best of luck!!!

Cara

• Posted

Thank you Cara for this positive response! I feel ok apart from post op pains!! The are starting me on HRT patches tomorrow and then I'll be home. Fingers crossed. I feel relieved! Xx

• Posted

I am not on any HRT at all, it is so weird, I have no needed anything.

Good luck my friend!

• Posted

how are things with you now? I am 11 days post surgery and still sore, really sore achy but getting there.
    • Posted

Honestly I am not sure, the doc asked me if I had any symptoms of menopause and wanted HRT and when I said I did not she said ok then maybe you wont need any so I did not go on anything.

I will wait and see if somewhere down the road I may need something but for right now I am doing good.

• Posted

Hey lizziebean. Cute mmoniker. My youngest daughter is lizzie... I had an abdominal hysterectomy Aug 14 so 2 weeks from yesterday. The pain for me is still very intense. And I have all the poop problems cause I'm not walking like i should. It huts to walk. I feel like I'm going to literally fall out of this long sewn up cut below my muffin top when i am upright. I don't deal well with pain and generally don't deal well with pain killers but have tolerated perocet just fine. I finished my perscibed 30 though yesterday, and the pain I currently am in, should never be felt by anyone! I'm just laying here on my damn birthday crying my eyes out. Eh. Blah blah blah. It'll be better. I am really glad I found ya'll and I hope surgery well well for you, lizziebean! We're all different so I hope recovery is a breeze for u! Glad you're all here. Peace.

• Posted

Ohhhh that sucks DeltaDawn. You poor girl. Hope it all improves soon. I really hate to say it but although being more mobile bit by bit hurts, you will actually get better quicker & pain will improve faster. I'm guessing you have sutures still? Hugs and wishes for less pain. (PS - are you Delta Dawn mohair seller?)

• Posted

Yes still structured...no staples I don't think, though there are fishing line like loops on each side of the cut. The entire site itself seems to be healing nicely so far and thank God. Thanks for reaching out. Seeing doctor for refill of pain relief meds tomorrow. Pooped this morning! Painful as heck but some sucess none the less.

• Posted

Oh I forgot... no mohair seller. Sounds interesting though smile
    • Posted

Once your sutures are taken out you will be way more comfortable. Take pain meds regularly by the clock. Write down what time you take them. Don't wait till pain bad to take them. Lots of them work better at preventing pain rather than trying to take pain down. (Re. the mohair - I have Girls in NZ making dolls & the best mohair for their hair is Delta Dawn mohair!)

• Posted

Hey, DeltaDawn, So sorry to hear, I had a laparoscopy so only three small holes to heal, but also having major POOP problems cant seem to get it right with pain killers & laxitives & pain relief. 

?I hope your get on the mend soon, I also am taking homeopathic arnica tables C200 which has really helped with the bruising. I keep getting pain around my pelvic bone and lower back, I think it is just healing where everything has been lazered away.

keep in touch let me know how you're doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.