About to have an urethral plasty

Posted , 8 users are following.

I remember when I was about 12yrs old I came out of the bathroom crying because I could not pee (urinate), My parents took me to the emergency and the doctor stuck a catheter in me. That hurt like hell. A cystoscopy followed and this seem to work for about 2yrs. The problem came back again and again and again. In my later years I would get dilated (I called it getting rotor rooted) every 3 months for many years. My specific problem was an extreme burning sensation when I urinated along with a real slow flow. I would hold it in as long as I could. Consequently, I became shy around others in a public bathroom. I could not go with other people in the bathroom. Well, unfortunately I developed an addiction to cocaine so instead of dilation I just always used which numbed the pain of urination. My urologist, after many years, suggested I get an urethral plasty. Well my surgery is scheduled Oct 12th 2017 and I have concerns. I am now clean, that is, I have 2yrs 5months and 24 days clean from all drugs and alcohol. I am very serious about my recovery. I have read that the pain afterwards is cause for the doctor to prescribe narcotics for pain relief. I don't want any narcotics in or around me at any time ever. I need to know an alternative that will accomplish the same results. I have used Toridol for minor pain relief but will it work for serious pain?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Barry,

I had a urethra plasty done about 4 months ago and hope and pray you don't have the problems I have. I don't know how the doctor will do it but don't allow him to make an incision between your anus and sack unless you want to stay in bed for 6 weeks hoping it will heal and hoping he did not happen to cut some nerves in the process.

I am a little different than most because I am in a wheelchair and have to sit on my wound all the time but you will encounter some of the same problems even though you can walk. If the doctor can repair your urethra with a graft that will hold from inside your penis you should be all right. There are several types of grafts but unless you don't want to be able to eat and endure the pain inside your mouth have him get the graft some other place than your mouth. 

Mine was done because my last urologist tied off my urethra when I was in my 30's and put a Suprapubic. The suprapubic worked great for me all these years since I am 71 now until I had a kidney stone. They could not get in me to take the kidney stone out because of the urethra being tied off which was the start of my problems now. 

I am in terrible pain all the time which does not let up. The wound will not heal and bleeds all the time. The dr. says it will eventually heal but I don't know about the pain if it will ever go away. I have been on pain management because of being a paraplegic which in my case causes my back to hurt bad.

I was taking 10/325mg of Percocet every 8 hours but now I have to take 20/650mg Percocet every 4 hours along with 800Mg of Gabapentin and the pain is still bad.

I hope and pray that your procedure will go great but make sure you talk to your urologist and ask what's the least invasive procedure you can have. Make sure you ask about down time also since you don't want to be laid up in bed for 6 weeks hoping the wound will heal. Make sure you let me know how things went also.

I will make sure your on the prayer list at church since GOD is the only one that makes all things new. God is the one that made us and even though he uses doctors he is the one that gives them knowledge.

• Posted

My god GSLICK  you have gone through a lot.  We all need prayers.  God Bless you.  I hope you get better soon  Ken
    • Posted

Your words of kindness are heaven sent. To me that is the God conscious in you speaking to me. I will most definitely let you know of everything went. I am having my surgery done at Grady hospital in Atlanta. I will inquire about the least invasive and also about the incision site, however; just like in my profession which I have been doing for almost 40yrs I will take suggestions but not let anyone tell me how to do my job. I trust my doctors knowledge. I have faith in God and live in his will. Thank you for caring.
    • Posted

Well my doctor did not do the surgery because there was so much scar tissue in my urethra. It is end to end scar tissue. I went in for surgery yesterday and woke up 2hrs later to my doctor telling me he did not do it because the surgery would fail. He wants me to heal for about 1 more month. I am rescheduled for Nov 9th. He told me if he cant do it in one surgery he would have to do it in two separate surgeries 6 months apart. If that happens he will have to make it that I urinate sitting down in between surgeries. And too he will make an incision between the anus and scrotum. He said that heals quickly. I will let you know how it goes.
    • Posted

Hey Barry sorry for want your going through.  WHAT type of surgery did you and your doctor decide on.  Are you going to have the graft surgery  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Thanks Barry

I am going back to the hospital today after I take my dad to have a colonosty. I have been awake all night. I have hurt so badly where my wound is I took 3 10/325mg Percocet's without much relief. The dr. has to find out what's wrong. I had a little pain before he operated on me but never anything like this. I will keep you informed to what my urologist finds.

Thank you Jesus my Lord and savior for dying for my sins. I pray everyone will come to know Jesus as savior

• Posted

I just said a prayer for you. God answers all prayers.
  • Posted

Well, I had the urethroplasty done on NOV 9th. As first reported  I had concerns about taking narcotics after my surgery. I told the nurse I am an recovering addict and did not want any narcotics. The head nurse looked at me and in no uncertain terms told me that was not an option. In order for me to heal correctly I had to have narcotics post operation. She said "your in recovery so you will know when to stop taking the pain medication." I thought I could get out easy by just refusing narcotics but that was not the case. I have recovery and I know what that means to me as it was put to the ultimate test. At one point during my stay I knew I did not need any more pain medication (diladid) but I really wanted it. My thumb on that nurse button was going crazy wanting me to push that button but thanks to my higher power and my network I avoided what would have been the worse decision of my life. Ok, so now I can tell you about my experience with the operation. The operation took 6hrs. When I woke up in recovery I was completely disoriented. They put me in my room where I stayed for 5 days. The first two days I was bed stricken by orders of the doctor. They had an alarm on the bed. I had 4 tubes coming out of me, Two catheters, an indwelling and an SPC. I also had two blood draining tubes and a IV. I was hooked up. The pain on the first two days is rough. In addition, because of the position of my surgery I suffered nerve damage in both hands with my right forearm still with nerve damage. The doctor says this will go away with time, however, the first two days I had no feeling in my hands. Sleep was a commodity in high demand as I was extremely uncomfortable and could not get to sleep for long. After I went home they prescribed me oxycotin. Not good for a recovering addict  as I had to be very, very careful on how and when to use. I still have 26 of 30 pills left. At home getting comfortable was almost impossible As I could not sit straight down and standing was very tiresome. I got a donut to sit on and that helped tremendously. I was unable to sleep good for the entire time I had both catheters in me. I had to use supplements to have a bowel movement as I got constipated after the surgery. My appetite had decreased quite a bit after surgery. On Dec. 13th I had both catheters removed. Halleluiah. It was a wonderful day. At first because I have not used my bladder under my control I had severe urgency. I could not hold it in and had an accident on myself. It is much better now. I have no pain when I urinate with a great stream. It was an success. I do have one concern and that is my scrotum area is still quite numb so consequently I have little feeling in my penis. This should subside and the feeling will comeback, however, right now erections are not possible. The best knowledge I can give someone is to drink plenty of water following your surgery. And don't stop drinking water in abundance either. It is a journey having this surgery. I wont lie it is not easy but it is worth it in the end. God bless everyone.

• Posted

Barry glad your doing better  But That nurse was wrong.  You should have been able to say no to any meds.  Glad your getting better.  It will just take time.  Yes drink a lot of water to clear yourself out.  Take care  ken   
  • Posted

So glad you’re out the other side I too had loads of oxy left , worked my programme and prayed a lot, but after a few years of sobriety and working steps and staying close to my sponsor I was ok no obsession to use, plus god gave me two new sponsees, bless you love and fellowship , Sarah 
  • Posted

It has been 6 months since I had my urethra-plasty. I just had my follow up appointment. The  doctor was very pleased. He stuck a scope through my urethra and it looked fantastic. I feel wonderful. I have no pain in urinating whatsoever. This procedure was a GOD send for me. I highly recommend it. Now, all surgeries have long and short term side effects and this one is no exception. I could not achieve an erection for about 3 months after the surgery and I am still numb on my scrotum which does not allow me to ejaculate any semen right now, however, I get erections now although not hard enough to penetrate. I solved this with a c**k ring. That works with what I have, however; if I need to get rock hard I take an injection of trimex PAP30/PHE3/PGE60. That makes her scream my name, really, and it last 1hr. Ask your urologist about it. Here is what I learned have your doctor fax in a prescription to a compounding pharmacy DONT and I repeat DONT get it from your urologist as you will pay 3 times more for the same. I get mine from Talon pharmacy in Texas. They only charge $6 per dose which comes in a 5ml or 10ml bottle plus shipping which is $33. You get 8 doses  per 5ml bottle. I found out the hard way about this no pun intended. I went to a ED doctor and he charged me $35 per dose. I had to get a 10ml bottle. That s**t cost me $750. Now I get the same for $88 plus shipping. Now, back to the short and long term side effects my doctor told me this surgery is a major major surgery and IT WILL TAKE TIME before everything is back to normal. I have read anywhere between 6mos to a year. That's ok because I have trimex and Damn that s**t works. Going to see my girlfriend tonight and she said Don't forget your stuff. OH I wont. I hope everyone has a blessed day and a really good night wink wink. 

• Posted

Barry  I am very happy that it worked out for you.  You needed this and now you can get on with your life.  God Speed  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.