About to have Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery (Keyhole) in London

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 48 and have bad bunions both feet. I am booked in with Mr David Gordon at the London Clinic for MINIMALLY INVASIVE bunion surgery, supposedly faster recovery and easier to manage than traditional methods. I've researched as much as I can but can only find quite daunting stories about traditional bunionectomy procedures. I would be very keen to hear about anyone else's experiences? I am dreading the first 2 weeks of rest as I am a very, very active person, I run three times a week and stand up all day every day because I keep busy! Any tips grateful. Thanks so much.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had bunionectomy 15 months. I too had been very active, jogging, walking, mountain climbing, swimming. I had keyhole surgery, and surprisingly, being the coward that I am, very little pain after day 3 post op. I had 2 airboots and crutches and almost immediately, was taking a few steps several times a day. Scars, on outsides of big toes, have faded into neat lines. Only downside is, I cannot wear high heels any more! I can only wear 3" heels at most. I have resumed all my previous activities in months, finally climbing a mountain 4 weeks ago. Ok I didn't reach the summit, but enjoyed my day out. I love looking at my new toes. I was in and out of surgery in less than 2 hours, morphine helped me sleep that night, and I was on my way home in the morning with strong painkillers

• Posted

HI Audrey

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

How long before you could drive and how long before you could exercise please?

Oh and why cant you wear heels?

So sorry for all the questions I'm very curious about the recovery!

Thank you

Best

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma, I have metal pins in my big toes and range of movement is restricted. I was warned of this before surgery. I don't wear high heels that often and in fact , attended 2 family weddings in the last year in flat shoes. I have worn 3" heels twice this year but they felt a bit uncomfortable after some time. Before surgery, my bunions were so painful, it hurt anyway to wear high heels. To me, the trade off is good. 3" heels occasionally and straight pain free toes

• Posted

Hi Audrey,

Great to hear your experience as your're so active, thank you. I had a MICA 10 days ago and am also very active. I was wondering how long the foot under the big toe joint stays swollen and elevated? I've been able to heel weight bear since day 1 but am concerned about the heavy cardio sport I do 4-5 hours at weekends although I was assured I could go back to doing anything I did previously. I also thought we would be able to wear heels, is the pin in the big toe which you mention the pin for an Akin? More concerned about sport, twisting and turning on my feet!

Really appreciate your comments.

Martha

• Posted

i am almost 6 weeks after traditional bunion (1 foot) and bunionette surgery (both feet). Pain was not as bad as I had anticipated. I have Darco shoes to wear and crutches, though I can potter about without the crutches now. I have never put my foot to the ground without the shoes on, though I dont wear them sleeping or when my feet are elevated. I am so ready to get out walking again but I have done a programme of floor exercise (Pilates) every day since about day 5 and that has kept me supple and I notice no lack of strength or flexibility. I'm not yet at the point where I am glad I've had this done, but I will be if and when the xrays show that the surgery was successful and when I can walk in regular shoes again.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I've opted for minimally invasive to hopefully speed up revovery but who knows!

Wish you well!

• Posted

Hi Emma, I had traditional surgery in 2006 to both feet at same time. I've always regretted that I caved in to pressure from work to have them done together rather than 2 surgeries. Wish the NHS had not allowed it. It's meant that recovery was difficult, I walked on the outside edges of my feet for a while putting pressure where it shouldn't be. Zero aftercare or advice. I now have mortons neuroma in both feet. I only wear skechers shoes, or clarks with a proper orthotic insole. High heels are a thing of the past as I can't put pressure on balls of foot. Steel pins also in toes are restricting. Doing gym classes or dancing or anything where I'm required to go on tip toes is also a no. I regret it every single day. I am far worse now than I ever was. My feet look nice and straight though! Oh for a time machine. I haven't heard of this new technique being used for bunions, I really hope that it is good for you. I would still be cautious and do one at a time. Good luck

• Posted

Hello,

I would love to hear how you have gotten along now you are post surgery? I have just had minimally invasive surgery with Dr David Gordon in London a week ago. I had both feet done at the same time and have experienced no pain on the left foot, however the right foot needed more work and I was warned it would be more painful so nothing unexpected. Like you I am really active and sporty and am wondering how quickly you recovered and returned back to your sports? Are you now pain free? Did you have both feet done or just one?

Any advice would be welcome x

• Posted

Hi Lisa

im 9 months post op! i was driving in four weeks. had swelling for about 3 to 4 months, barely any pain and my feet look great! im so happy with the result. he is brilliant im sure your result will be just as good

any other questions just ask

emma

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am so pleased it has all been a success for you. Dr Gordon is great and I instantly felt confident in him.

Just a quick question, how soon did you get back into your running?

x

• Posted

i started running around mid july so just two months later but light jogging for around ten minutes. built it up to 20 mins in a few weeks back to 3 x 30 mins a week by mid august

• Posted

I had one foot done due to a plantar plate injury. It was 8 months ago, by Mr Vernois.

It was not at all painful but I was very careful to ice and elevate and rest. Heel weight bearing from the start but my big toe was elevated and I was scared to death it would stay like that! but hey, miracle, it was the bandage really, I resisted pulling it off, so all went well and it looks great now! I'm back to playing tennis, can run etc. I have gone up a half size but that is not to do with the operation, but because I realised I had to, I think your feet do get larger if you exercise a lot and I'd been trying to keep to my usual size out of vanity...

I was walking several km a day after a couple of months and can jog etc. now without any problems I am careful about getting wide toe box shoes which I never did before and good support at arch and a snug fit at the ankle.

Sometimes it does hurt a bit or even a stabbing pain but nothing like the problems some people have reported and usually there's nothing at all.

• Posted

Hi Emma, I had the minimal invasion surgery on Monday this week so am 5 days post op. This is on my second foot, i had my left one done in April 2019. When i had my left foot done, I was driving again in a week because I have an automatic, this time round I need to wait for the removal of my bandaging and boot (3-4 weeks). I was told last time I could start exercising after 4 weeks but didnt start until 6-8 as didnt feel ready but was very mobile and able to do everything I would normally do. I had the surgery Monday 2nd and was back at work Weds 4th. I used The Private Clinic of Harley Street but 100% have no regrets. The results on my left foot were amazing and cant wait for my bandages to come off in my right in a few weeks to see the results. Good luck with your op x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.