About to have TURP , little worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

hey everyone , just looking for some advice and your thoughts on my problem ,

i am 64 and in good health except for this prostate issue , i have been on flomax for around 9 years and avadart for 3 , i have the retention problem i dont pee everything out and i feel like i did but can still have 700 to 900 mil left in me , and it doesnt hurt , in april of this year i started peeing pure blood , ended up going yo the urlogist and he said i had a stone , so i had the stone removed , now i cant pee without self cathing , before the surgery with the enlarged prostate and the stone i could pee now after stone is removed i cant at all unless i self cath , so now Dr. wants to do the TURP on me , wondering now what i want to do

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi David

I had 2 turp procedures done this year as first one was not successful. But second one was, and now after 2 months, I wish I had done this years ago.

I had anUltralift procedure done in Toronto at a cost of $17000 and it worked for about a year but I was then back at totally blocked.

So now I'm wishing I had just done the turp thing as I am really pleased with the results.

I had spent 5 months with a catheter on which was pretty miserable. Now I have my life back.

I'm in the garden working away, sleep much better, up usually only once and feel fantastic !

Hope it goes well for you .

• Posted

thanks Scot for the good words , glad yours came out good , i hope i only have to have one Dr. seems to think my bladder is in good shape , my prostate is just huge , getting use yo the self cathing now for a month and surgery isnt until sept, but would be nice not too , hope i dont have the incontence too long , thanks s for your reply

• Posted

Excellent, glad the self catheter is working for you, that would have made life so much better for me. Just didn't work. Had to wear a permanent catheter and bag on the leg for months !

My prostate was around 75 . They removed 32 gms on the second turp.

Recovery is not too bad. I found at 6 weeks I was finally feeling good. Lots of blood in urine and passing chunks, nothing to worry about there. I found after passing chunks each time I pee(d) better, so was happy to see that happen from time to time.

By the way I mispoke, it was a UROLIFT I had that only worked a year.

Good luck

• Edited

I had a TURP about about 18 months ago at age 70. Best thing I ever did to help my peeing problems. Resumed all normal activity after 3 weeks per my doctor's instructions. I never had a retention problem but I was peeing every 90 minutes or so during the day and getting up 2 or 3 times at night. Now I can easily go 2+ hours and generally get up only once at night. There are other alternatives but you and your doctor have to decide what's best for you based on the size and where the enlargement is. For me with a large median lobe protruding into the bladder, the TURP was the best choice.

• Posted

I had Turp back in June 2019 . I used to get up to pee about three times a night . It was a struggle to pee during the day too . I now can sleep through from 10 pm to 6am and do not rush to get out of bed. I can pee good now although it usually takes two voids to feel empty but then I can go for four hours or even longer without worrying about having to pee. Everything feels like it did when I was thirty. I am now 65 years of age. I am not a great fan of retrograde ejaculation but it seems more is coming out in the right direction as time goes on and rather this than catheters . I self cathed for about ten weeks before the Op and sadly about 8 or so weeks afterwards which was a worry.. But slowly and surely things have improved to the point I now consider the op a 95% success .. The 5% is in regards to a few niggles with squirting sometimes when I pee & having to void twice most times . The 2nd time within 20 seconds or so of the first void ...But it certainly wants to come out which is the important thing and my bladder empties . I was retaining over a litre and more before the op . So my bladder may be trabeculated..I never found out..I was concerned that my bladder was ruined but it seems to be getting back to near normal more as time goes on .

Geoff

• Posted

hey Geoff

thanks for the info ,, glad yours went good

after my stone was removed i dont pee any on my own , but the self cathing 4 times a day is working until the next thing i decide,

my prostste is too large for the uroliftand thst doesnt seem like it worked too long for many anyway , going to read up on this greenlight surgery next

• Edited

Your very welcome David.

My prostate was big but not as huge compared with some stories I hear and I had about 40% of it take away . I cannot remember the figures so I will not guess numbers apart from the percentage .

When I was diagnosed with bph at the hospital , I had a crash course on how to Cath and from then I cathed up until surgery (and for a while after , which worried me a lot ) In total I cathed about four to six months , but slowly & surely I was more able to pee on my own & naturally after the Op. The greatest improvement was in getting a great nights sleep regularly .

Before surgery , It appeared that because of cathing my bladder reduced in size from the pressure being taken off it from storing too much urine . The problem from reducing the pressure in my distended bladder was that it couldn`t work at all and I couldnt pee naturally . I can only assume the muscles were stretched and wanted a good rest . So hence all the cathing needed .

I hear and read lots about trebaculation of the bladder and it not being reversible but I really do feel that 14 months post op that my bladder is improving daily . I keep fit and have a good diet apart from my weakness ...wine.

I would recommend turp from my personal experience . For me it has been a long journey and still ongoing , but it feels I am at the summit and looking at the beautiful view on the other side . Sorry about metaphor but it is how I feel . My life has improved hugely and I thank God for my good health I am not religious as such , but say that a lot now .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.