About to Make the Change-Fluox

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've posted here several times-I guess in an attempt to find if anyone has responded to this med as I have. I started Fluoxetine nine weeks ago and although there are some glimmers of normal, the majority has been abnormal. I see my PCP tomorrow but am worried. I don't want to add more to my already weakened brain state. I feel so off and foreign; unlike myself. I feel flat at times, then erratic crying the next. I have no history of mental illness aside from situational anxiety/panic. I'm worried to change from the Fluox because who knows what the next med will do. If I stop the Fluox under doctor's orders, how will my brain return to its former state of normalcy. I haven't felt like a person-a functional one-since April of last year when this nightmare began. I would like to know if anyone has experienced just a spacy-off feeling; feeling foreign in your own skin; non-functional.....Even having these symptoms, some have told me to stay the course-it gets better weeks 10-12....could that be possible with such a rocky start? What are the indicators a med is not ever going to work? I've been at this too long and so desperate for resolve.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Along with this plz write your routine activities, age , habbits and hobbies.
    • Posted

I'm 44....not many activities b/c I feel so off and non-functional. Before these meds, I was in graduate school and fully functional. My hobbies were painting, reading, movies....Now, nothing...I can't engage b/c I feel so off and unlike myself....not sure if this is depersonalization/derealization or what.....just never experienced this in my life.

• Posted

Ist of  all plz remember these medicines take time 2ndly you may try some other version if this does'nt suit you...means causing more problems....As you mentioned your hobbies paintings etc these demonstrate sensitive nature. The positive sign is they are more creative people however the darkside have to balance sensitivity levels. Human brain is the most complex organ still not completely revealed ...keep working on a number of methodologies to treat it don't reply just on medicine although its the prime for atleast to bring you back to normal levels.

• Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement.
    • Posted

You are welcome; You might wonder I'am also taking 20mg with family and Job issues. Jobless for last 5 years living out any support.

• Posted

well some issues ...but ok; but I see sometimes sudden anger outburst...which was not before...may be its a side effect?
    • Posted

Are you better now? I had agitation and spaciness...some erratic crying...
  • Posted

hi

ive been on 20mg a day for 4 months. I started on it really well, no side effects and feeling a lot less bad tempered. But now ive hit 4.5 months something has changed and its odd it should happen now and not in the beginning.

I feel just like you, spacey, foreign in my skin and definitely non functionl. I sleep 11 hrs a night and still dont want to get up in the morning, im drowsy most of the day and tired and ready for bed again at 9.30pm. I just dont feel like ive had much sleep after 11 hours. I went to my Dr, she didnt think it would do that to me at this stage, but I think that ive now built up the drug in my body and thats why im having this feeling now rather than in the beginning.

I feel it has definetely worked with my mood, and my short temper, im much calmer, not much bothers me, but physically i dont feel too good now which is sad as i am coming off it purely because I cant cope with the exhaustion every day.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that...I understand. For me, this has been nothing short of a nightmare. I never realized how powerful these meds could be in going either one way or another; helping or not helping. I feel complete lack of functioning and wonder if I'll ever be the same...I may try and come off everything too.

• Posted

I'm coming to think that to hope that drugs alone will cure ones depression or anxiety is not a great position to take. If ones suffering relates to stress, previous pychological trauma, major adverse life events, then taking a drug alone seems to me having unrealistic expectations.

I think drugs can get you to a state where one could benefit from the various psychotherapies.

Myself, that's where I am now, but psychotherapy does take hard effort. Not surprising. One has to change especially to how we view these adverse events. We all wish a pill alone would work.

It seems a logical possibility that doing both together increases ones chances

I've endured trying to find the right drug and right dose. I had an awful switch from venlafaxine to fluoxetine, which was terrifying but thats another story

In the future, these drugs may appear to v very crude - or not, who knows. Tell u one thing, I hate it when people who have never had to endure depression, and no nothing about how it feels, tell you how terrible antidepressants are.

Try to keep an open mind to the whole thing.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you laurence...I truly believe mine was such a fluke of chance....walking along fine in life then a panic attack from stresses from graduate school. A hasty trip to the doctor would be a fateful one....rx'd Klonopin...didn't know was a benzo; returned to help to get off of it...rx'd Lexapro and enter tidal wave of tears-crying for no reason....It's been nine months of this with no reprieve...I think mine is more of not knowing what happened to me and how to get back to where I was.

• Posted

Knowing what happened IMO, can be V difficult. My feelings at this time, are that psychotherapy is going to help with that, while drugs (hopefully) alleviate symptoms. But there so many types of psychotherapy, with different aims. And they involve a lot of effort. No wonder we choose pills first.
    • Posted

Thank you...I value your insight....definitely could benefit from therapy and get off meds completely soon or someday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.