About to reduce my dosage of venlafaxine and nervous!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've decided after almost 10 years to reduce the dosage of venlafaxine due to severe loss of libido. I've been on 150mg extended release capsules for about 8 of those 10 years.

My doc has prescribed me tablets in 75mg and 37.5mg. Will i notice the difference between the caps and tabs?

I only take 1 cap a day in the morning at the moment, should i take both tabs at the same time or one in the morning and one at night? I know i should ask the doc but he wont understand the withdrawal like folk on here.

The doc said I can cut the tabs if i need to boost them by a little but the pharmacist said i can't. Not sure who to listen to.

I'm quite nervous about this since ive been so reliant on these for so long. If i even miss a dose by 6 hours i feel like im tripping with severe vertigo and nausea.

I have quite a high pace stressful job as a manager and i would like to get through this with as little disruption to my career as possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lana,

Like you I've been on Venlafaxine for many years, I started on 150mg then 4 years ago it was increased to 225mg as I was experiencing worsening anxiety. I was also taking Mirtazapine 45mg, the "California Rocket Fuel". My anxiety didn't improve. Anyway, to cut a long story short, this year I decided to try a different approach, the anxiety was becoming unbearable, I took up the chance to have counselling and it was a revelation. I realised that the meds were making me worse. I'm nearly finished the Mirtazapine which I've reduced very slowly.

Are you able to get Venlafaxine capsules prescribed? I have "Vensir XL" 150mg and 75mg. They contain small tablet shaped pellets, 14 in the 150mg and 6 in the 75mg. I'm reducing by 1 pellet every 2 weeks. I'm now on 200mg. I notice a little bit of irritability in the first couple of days after reducing but so far so good.

My experience is that GPS and Pharmacists are not much help when reducing, and I've had to dig my heels in about keeping this preparation on my prescription. The tablets are cheer.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Lana mike here.  I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on 150 now I was on 185 sr cap per day in the morning. I'm staying on 150 over Christmas then I'm going down to. 125 or 75 mg in January  like you I've been on these things for years please read my earlier post !!! Like you dizzy ringing in my ears and many more symptoms. Can't wait to get my life back .. please look at my post and Lana keep in touch god bless Michael 

• Posted

Hi.

Yes you will notice a difference. The right way to go about it after having steady doses for 8 years would be 75mg extended release caps and 37.5mg extended release caps for the first reductions. I am not sure if these are available where you are. Wyeth produces them in these doses (Effexor XR). Reductions must be by 37.5 mg and ideally spaced by about 2-3 months and longer if any disturbances surface during weaning. Ideally you should only make the next cut once you are symptom free (evened out) for about 3 months. That makes for minimum brain jerks. And helps minimize danger of relapses after discontinuation.

If you are moving to tabs and there is no way for you to get the XR caps in the abovementioned dosages then the best thing would be to take 75mg in the morning and 37.5 in the afternoon (about 6 hrs after the first pop). To try maintain a little more even release.

When I was first weaning, my doctor used tabs to helped prep me for the ensuing changes. So first I was given my normal dosage on them to get used to highs and lows that come with regular release as I too was on 150 extended release for 8 years. So i was taking 75mg extended release in the morning and 75mg regular release in afternoon for a couple of weeks before dropping the second one to 37.5 regular.... This was how my psychiatrist chose to prepare me based on the length of my treatment. It really worked out nicely. The benefit there of immediate release second dose was the mid-day spike and gentle reduction after peak levels getting th ebrain kick-started to follow the down and be prepared for it without panicking. smile

Let us know how it goes once you start, whichever way you opt to do it.

• Posted

Iana, this is information to a facebook page specifically for people who are trying to wean off of venlafaxine/Effexor. It was a huge help to me when I was tapering off of this medication. I have been off of it now for a year and three months. I wish you well.

EFFEXOR (Venlafaxine) Side Effects, Withdrawal and Discontinuation Syndrome

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.