About to start Bisoprolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I had a heart attack 12 years ago and have just had a new set of tests. Exercise test (disaster!) Echocardiogram, and last week another Angiogram which definitely was not a fun experience...

Upshot is that I'm told I have a totally blocked artery which is not suitable for stents or angioplasty. Also apparently not worth by-passing because it's feeding largely dead muscle.

So, it appears that I have left ventricular failure which is progressive and will kill me at some point if I don't get hit by a bus first.

The only thing they've come up with is a change from Atenolol 25 Mg daily, which I've been on for 12 years with no major problems, to Bisoprolol 5Mg.

It's not clear why they want the change.

I'll let you know how I get on!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well, Isaid I'd let you know how I got on. No problems. If anything I am tending to fall asleep a bit more easily infront of the telly after dinner, but that might also be down to being very tired anyway. I can't honestly say that I find bisoprolol any worse than any other beta blocker I've been on.

Archie.

• Posted

OK Folks... I was wrong! I try to exercise regularly. (Walks of at least 5 miles and often 3-4 times that, plus swimming.. 1K minimum. )

This week my relatively short mid - week walk nearly saw me off. The following night I went for a swim and had to stop after about 300 metres because my legs felt like lead. Not good. I am shattered all the time and feel nauseous most of the time. Sometimes I feel like dumping all 6 of the drugs I'm on and just taking my chances. It couldn't be much worse.

Despite all I do to improve my health and fitness.. I am going backwards.

PS. I think this site is very difficult to navigate. Is it just me?

• Posted

I've been on Bisoprolol for a few years.

Like you, haven't noticed any big differences between that and other Beta Blockers. I have been getting a lot of headaches over the last 3-4 months but that could be other things.

All the best.

Jason

• Posted

Hi Archie and all out there who take Bisoprolol. My husband has been taking it since 2001 when he had a massive heart attack and he is absolutely fine with no side effects. However, I was put on it in February and for a couple of weeks I felt good, but since then when I go out for a walk I feel as if I'm walking through treacle and everything, even modest housework, is such an effort. I cut the tablet in half (sorry Doctor I will confess all when I next see you) and I do feel marginally better, but not sure if this is good for my palpitations? Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.