about to start orlistat

Posted , 4 users are following.

my doctor has perscribed me a months supply of orlistat and i have been hearing quite a few things about the side effects and have gotten myself a little concerned as i dont want these side effects occuring whilst at work so i was wondering if you could answer a few questions as the measly leaflet in the packet was not much help?

:?: how many grams of fat can i have per day/meal and how do i work out how many if it varies?

:?: do i have to stick to 3 meals a day or can i snack on low/no fat foods inbetween meals?

:?: do you know of any useful websites which show what foods are suitable to eat i.e low fat?

Thankyou :D

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

oh and can you skip a pill when going out for a meal (on special occasions) and not get side effects if you eat for fat in that meal?

thanks smile

• Posted

So - I'm no expert, but the answers below to your questions work for me

- 25-3og of fat a day - no more and no less - and these fat grams have to be counted in my 1200-1400 daily calorie counting - any sort of fat, but common sense says the healthier type has to be better

- no more than 15g in a single meal - the average in a meal should obviously be 8-9g

- you can snack within your calorie and fat counting, but it leaves less for main meals, and the bluey pill is at its most effective when it is within an hour of the food going in

- just google your chosen food would be my advice, and get a good little calorie/fat book like the Collins one - a palaver to start with but you soon get the rhythm of it and it becomes much less onerous. There are a couple of threads on this site where people have shared their favourite low fat treats so scroll down and have a look.

- yes I believe you can skip a pill and the effectiveness/risk is reduced - not failsafe though - personally if I eat too much fat on one day I tend to have small but direct results down the loo for several days, so my metabolism clearly takes four or five days - for me skipping a pill is damage limitation rather than elimination!

hope this is helpful

good luck

RR

• Posted

thanks RR thats really helpful

my doctor told me i would get a booklet in my pack which would answer all these things but alas there was not and i am very nervous about getting caught short at work!

i spent a long time doing grocery shopping for next week and have replaced all the higher fat foods at home with low fat/fat free alternatives so i am feeling alright about it all, especially as i have been pleasantly surprised by what foods are still available to me!

• Posted

I am over 2 months into my regime and I still haven't received any written information - the advice you will get here is probably the only advice available...the Doctors are clueless....in time you will get to know your body and you'll fall into the way of things quite quickly.
  • Posted

i started yesterday and it was fine, managed to only consume about 16g of fat all day and i wasnt really making a big effort to control it

one thing that caught me off guard tho was sweetcorn, we'd made a roast beef dinner and it was only by chance i noticed it contains 2.5g of fat per serving!!! i assumed most veggies and fruits were fat free (exc. avacado!)

i think i will need to keep my wits about me a little bit more!!

hope everyone had a good weekend smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.